Small infection in cherry chocolate vanilla stout - salvagable? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just went to keg my cherry chocolate vanilla stout and it looks like it's got a minor infection. It's just one spot, smaller than a dime, but I'm pretty sure it's an infection. So is the beer savable if I just rack the beer from under it? I took a sample, and it didn't taste rotten or anything, not exactly the flavor I was trying for, but still not a rotten or bad taste. I hate to dump it since I've got quite a bit of time and money into this particular brew. Any thoughts?

A little more info, it spent nearly 4 weeks in primary, OG 1042, FG 1012 at transfer onto cherries/chocolate/vanilla, unknown gravity after this addition, but it had another active fermentation, 1020 after 7 days, 1016 after 10 days, and 1014 today (2 weeks).

Here's the one spot, the rest looks fine.

ccv-stout-infect.jpg

I see nothing wrong here, keg it.It will probably take a good deal of conditioning to be good. What makes you think it's an infection?

Sometimes when using fruit the yeast will settle out on it and make it appear to be fuzzy. This might be that case as you mention there was a second fermentation after adding the fruit, giving the yeast an opportunity to grow on the fruit. But again, if it tastes fine it probably is.

It's the white spot, and it's nothing I've seen on any other brew. It just appeared in the last couple days, and looks like a miniature sand dollar. I went ahead and kegged it, leaving about a gallon behind so it didn't pick up anything from the top layer, but I'm pretty sure it's an infection. I've still got it, and it's floating flat now, so it's easier to see. I'll take another pic and post it.

ccv-stout-infect-highlight.JPG

Yeah that's an infection of sorts. I have had a few batches develop those spots over the years and if left alone they grow pretty fast. I would rack from under it and either drink it fast or take a chance and see if aging does it any good.

I know lots of people think infected beer is worth keeping around, but I have never had an infected batch that improved substantially with age. Good luck.

Back