Having trouble with naturally carbonated keg beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lethian

Reaction score
So currently working on my second batch of homebrew. I bottled the first and switched to kegs for this one. Everything was working out great. Primary and Secondary fermentation went off with out a hitch. Racked to the keg (had a little taste and was delisicous) dropped the priming sugar in, sealed up the keg and pressurized with one of those 16oz co2 dispensers.

Its been about 2 weeks now I went to pour out and got a whole hecka lot of foam. Like pretty much just foam. I waited for the foam to settle and looked at the beer and it was completly flat.

Could I have overpressuerized the keg with the co2 and soffocated the yeast? Should I get more yeast and repitch? After tasting the flat beer it didnt seem overly sugary so I assume the yeast converted it but the bubbles are no where to be seen.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Sounds more like a serving problem than a carbonation problem. All that foaming was your carbonation disappearing. You should be pressurized around 12-14 psi for serving. The lower the serving temperature, the less foam as well. I drop mine all the way to 36-39 degrees in the kegerator, resulting in a low 40s serving temp. Some folks prefer a bit warmer, but I'd try to get at least below 45 inside the kegerator.

If you still have flat beer, just leave the CO2 tank hooked up at 20 psi for a few days and agitate the keg a bit from time to time (force carbonation). Drop it to the aforementioned 12-14 psi for pouring, and you should have better carbonation.

make sure your beer line (3/16'' ID) is long enough too.

people generally say that if you naturally carbonate, you want to put less priming sugar in the keg than you would in bottles. i don't know why, and i force carbonate everything anyway.

When having trouble with 'wild' or extra foamy beer from a tapper system, the first question is and always shoudl be "was the beer delivery system balanced before you had this problem?" or "has this beer delivery system eveyr worked properly?"

One first should eliminate the tapper system as the problem.

First, burp the keg by pulling the ring on the relief valve. Apply about 5 psi and dispense. Should help a lot. If you want more dispensing pressure use about 6 feet of 3/16 inch line. If you purchased a party tap, it probably has 4 feet of 1/4 inch, which doesn't provide enough back pressure to prevent foaming.

Back