STC-1000 (or similar) users, what is your experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have got hold of an STC-1000 which I plan to use to control a 1/2 size fridge, big enough to hold 1 bucket or carboy.

The STC is a simple on-off controller and, from reading the instructions I understand the minimum differential set value is 0.3 ...

I wonder what your experience is regarding temperature fluctuations and overshoots? Does it matter?

Please state the type of cooling on your fermentation chamber (fridge, freezer, insulation around carboy, or anything that may affect the amount of cooling transferred to the wort).

Thanks

The overshoot is minimal in my experience if you attach the probe to your FV due to the high thermal mass and add insulation over the top of it such as bubble wrap.
I have a 6ft fridge suitable for two FVs and have two AC case fans for hot and cold air circulation which come on when either is active.
I have logged the temperature with a Raspi in the past to check.

20130805b.png

Thanks for that gents.
The plot is quite flat ... I was honestly expecting more fluctuations. It would be interesting to log the state of the cooling and heating relay too.
Good idea about using a greenhouse heater, I haven't thought of that.

I've looked at the work done by Mats Staffansson to upgrade the firmware of the controller and I was quite impressed.
I will surely do the upgrade to benefit from some of the features they've incorporated.

Thanks again.

Thanks for that gents.
The plot is quite flat ... I was honestly expecting more fluctuations. It would be interesting to log the state of the cooling and heating relay too.
Good idea about using a greenhouse heater, I haven't thought of that.

I've looked at the work done by Mats Staffansson to upgrade the firmware of the controller and I was quite impressed.
I will surely do the upgrade to benefit from some of the features they've incorporated.

Thanks again.

I have moved to a Brewpi which gives you all the info on when heating/cooling etc and is even more accurate than the STC-1000 plus it has a webui, is easier to set profiles and has logging.
To use the custom firmware you'll need a specific version which are available from China or I think someone in the US sells them pre-flashed if you can't find one.
I have a couple of those too which are great.

I've seen some of the microprocessor based projects (arduino, raspberry pi), and they look great.
I am very new to brewing and I am just working my way up slowly given the limited amount of time and money I have to spend on the hobby. At some point I am sure I will feel the need to get the extra features the more complex systems provide.

I am based in UK and truth is that I have no idea if the STC that I just bought has the right level of hardware to accept the mod. If it doesn't, well, I'll have to live with the simpler system. The post from AnthonyUK gives me reassurance as it appears that either way once you tune-in the settings, the simpler STC-1000 controller is able to keep the temperature quite steady. The main reason I am after the stc-1000p firmware is the temperature ramping over time.

Thanks for the advice.

I have no idea if the STC that I just bought has the right level of hardware to accept the mod.

Peel the sticker back on the top so that the front once unclipped can slide out.
Look on the pcb for A400p_v1.0 as shown on the project page - https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p#connect-the-stc-1000

As you say though that even if you don't have the required version then you still have a decent controller that gives excellent temperature control :mug:

To use the custom firmware you'll need a specific version which are available from China or I think someone in the US sells them pre-flashed if you can't find one.
I have a couple of those too which are great.

I ordered mine today from china, this (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/temperature-controller-STC-1000/1305777_2004466302.html) is the correct one if you want to flash the proper firmware to run automated temp profiles as detailed by matt https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

A stock STC works perfectly fine. For a new brewer you're likely going to be looking at your fermenter between 10 and a 1,000,000 times a day anyway so manually ramping isn't a problem.

I find the main benefit of the STC1000+ is after I dry hop I can set it to cold crash automagically after how ever many days, even if I'm not around.

Peel the sticker back on the top so that the front once unclipped can slide out.
Look on the pcb for A400p_v1.0 as shown on the project page - https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p#connect-the-stc-1000

As you say though that even if you don't have the required version then you still have a decent controller that gives excellent temperature control :mug:

I was lucky, the stc was the correct level of hardware, uk stock so I didn't have to wait weeks for it to arrive.
I upgraded the sw and made some minor changes to support a probe with a different coefficient .... I dislike the plastic probe that comes with the unit.

Now I am good to go... Oh wait, I need to buy a fridge :D

Thanks for the advice

Hi guys.
I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this problem.
I've flashed 3 STC's & whilst running profile 0, mine picked up a slight glitch.
I had it set to 5 days @20degC, followed by a 12hr ramp to 23degC for 48hrs then 12hrs to drop to 1degC. It went from 20 to 23 no problem but would not drop to 1degc even though the times set had passed. This morning, I pushed the up arrow indicating the stc was at 20deg & temp on display was 20.2 ( 0.5deg tolerance ) so all fine. Around lunch time, I again pushed the up arrow to discover 19.4degC on the controller. Temp displaying 19.8 so still in tolerance of 0.5degC. I checked all settings & nowhere was 19.4 selected. Verified that it was prog 0. I don't know whats happened but I cant trust it & wired up a standard stc. When in settings, my dh value was 1?
Advice appreciated.

Hi guys.
I've flashed 3 STC's & whilst running profile 0, mine picked up a slight glitch.
I had it set to 5 days @20degC, followed by a 12hr ramp to 23degC for 48hrs then 12hrs to drop to 1degC. It went from 20 to 23 no problem but would not drop to 1degc even though the times set had passed. This morning, I pushed the up arrow indicating the stc was at 20deg & temp on display was 20.2 ( 0.5deg tolerance ) so all fine. Around lunch time, I again pushed the up arrow to discover 19.4degC on the controller. Temp displaying 19.8 so still in tolerance of 0.5degC. I checked all settings & nowhere was 19.4 selected. Verified that it was prog 0. I don't know whats happened but I cant trust it & wired up a standard stc. When in settings, my dh value was 1?
Advice appreciated.

You are probably better off posting here where other users may be able to provide an answer... I do not have experience with the controller yet.
Good luck
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=464348

You are probably better off posting here where other users may be able to provide an answer... I do not have experience with the controller yet.
Good luck
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=464348

Thanks for the advice.
I'm still trying to find my way round the forum at the moment.
I spoke to alphaomega last night & all is well. User error on my part & I now understand the controller much better.
Cheers.

If you are upset to wire the temperature controller. Why don't you choose one which is Inkbird ITC-308 pre-wired temperature controller?

It controls both a heating and cooling device. Alternatively, it can control a heating or a cooling device. Displays in Fahrenheit and Centigrade. Maximum output 1000/2200 watt at 110v/220V. Dual Display shows both measured and set temperature. Use to control fermentation or kegerator.

It is cheap, convenient and safe with FCC, CE and RoHs certificates.

Now the US and EU plug is coming. UK will be produced soon.

EU PLUG LINK.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B016O67MOK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

US PLUG LINK:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011296704/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys.
Advice appreciated.

You might be in the middle of a ramp where the ramp steps are calculated and adjusted (hourly I think).

Is it in the middle of a ramp to a cold crash?

*edit I see you got the help you need.

You might be in the middle of a ramp where the ramp steps are calculated and adjusted (hourly I think).

Is it in the middle of a ramp to a cold crash?

It was. It's running as it should now.
User error on my part. I opted out of the programme & set up another one to see how it would go & it's working as it should.
Cheers

I use the ITC-1000. It's the same but it allows me to display temps in Fahrenheit instead of only Celsius. Mine goes +/- 1F according to the display. I cover the outside of the probe with a blue shop towel folded to about the size of 2 fingers wide and place the probe on the carboy. I don't think 1 degree will matter as most fermentation temped for yeast are around 5F.

Latest posts

Back