Mango Habanero IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btack

Reaction score
So here is my first ever self created recipe (beersmith) since I couldn't find a recipie I wanted to use online. Let me know what you think. Anyone with experience making a mango habanero IPA? My thoughts are 3lb of mango and 1 habanero pureed at flameout, then soak another in some vodka and add the vodka juice into secondary. Questions should I add the peeper and vodka? I'm just going for a light heat on the finish. Hop suggestions are also appreciated as I am new to DIY recipes I figure the citra would help with the mango thoughts?

View attachment mango habanero.bsmx

Sorry about that

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.20 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.5 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 12.5 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 16.5 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.00 Items Habanero Pepper (Boil 0.0 mins)
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast
3 lbs Fruit - Mango (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 10 18.8 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop
1.00 Items Habanero Pepper (Secondary 14.0 days)

Definitely need more hops!! 1.5 oz in the boil is nowhere close to an ipa! I'd try and have any additions other then the 60min be in the boil for 20min or less. I haven't brewed with peppers so I am not sure on amounts there. Were you going to use 1 pepper in the boil and 1 in the dryhop?

Definitely need more hops!! 1.5 oz in the boil is nowhere close to an ipa! I'd try and have any additions other then the 60min be in the boil for 20min or less. I haven't brewed with peppers so I am not sure on amounts there. Were you going to use 1 pepper in the boil and 1 in the dryhop?

brewsmith says thats 59.4 IBUs. The though was to puree 1 pepper and add at flame out. then my though was to soak one in vodka (maybe in a white labs yeast vial) and then add the pepper infused vodka into seconday. maybe some mango juice as well. I don't know my first time going off book

brewsmith says thats 59.4 IBUs. The though was to puree 1 pepper and add at flame out. then my though was to soak one in vodka (maybe in a white labs yeast vial) and then add the pepper infused vodka into seconday. maybe some mango juice as well. I don't know my first time going off book

Yes, you will get plenty of ibu's from a 60min addition but with your only other addition at 30min you will have no aroma and very little, if any flavor; which are crucial in an ipa.

Yes, you will get plenty of ibu's from a 60min addition but with your only other addition at 30min you will have no aroma and very little, if any flavor; which are crucial in an ipa.

what would you suggest. maybe another .5oz at 15min? perhaps some Amarillo or cascade ?

For something pretty straight forward I'd say 1 ounce at 15, 5, and 1. Maybe use something a little more dank at 5min like Columbus. fwiw, this is straight off the top of my head.

I misread your ingredient list and thought you wer putting one pound of habenaro puree in your brew.....lol
Would have to name that one `hellfire IPA`

How about

1 oz citra at 30
.5 citra at 15
.5 citra at 10
.5 citra at 5
1 oz amarrilo at flameout
and dry hop 1 oz of cascade (or maybe centennial) in secondary

what would the columbus hops bring to the table (not familiar)?
maybe something else for the early additions and the citra later?
really looking to get the mango flavor upfront with the heat on the backside

I think that looks pretty good. It would have some good hop presence and solid bitterness but leave plenty of room for the mango and peppers. Wish I had some more experience with brewing with peppers. From chili beers I have had I know it can be way over the top; or delicious! I really like the paring of the mango and the peppers, and the mango and citra. Makes me think of a nice mango chutney, that will get you drunk! Looks like its getting to a nice balance.

I did a mango habanero ipa last summer with a buddy. I did the ipa base and he mangoed-habaneroed it. I have the IBUs at about 100 in bsmith since its theoretical IBUs and some def get lost in the process. The malt bill was similar to yours. We added 5 or 6 or 7 mangos to the secondary after mushing them and boiling with some water for a bit. Added chopped habaneros also boiled in with the mango to the mix too. Tasted along the way and added a second addition of habanero to the secondary. Then we waited. It turned out great. A blast of mango aroma and taste followed by a finishing heat of habanero all cut by the hops, citra heavy. We had a BHJCP judge share one with us and he was ecstatic about it. Swore it'd win the specialty category. The beer had fruit pectin in it and therefore was cloudy. As it bottle aged it got better. However it has a shelf life. I found the last one on Xmas and have it go, tasted fine but had off color from the mango turning. So add some citrus juice too like lemon or lime to help preserve things.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This looks great and I'm looking forward to trying it out myself. I've always wanted to use chillis in my brew. I think you're off to a great start, but here's a few suggestions:

I might consider pushing your 1oz citra hop addition back to 60 minutes. It might seem like a bit much but citra isn't much of a bittering hop to begin with. That will help your mango/habanero come through a bit more clearly. In its place, maybe another .5oz at the 30 minute mark. Everything from 30min-0min will provide complimentary citrus and subtle tropical fruit notes in hop flavor and aroma.

To really accentuate the mango, especially in aroma, I think mosaic will play extremely well in the dry hop for about a week. Maybe even substitute portions of your later additions to let those tropical fruit (mango/guava) flavors come out even more.

These are just suggestions on what I'd do, but I think you're on to something tasty for a warm day.

Sounds good I was hoping to brew this this weekend but it looks like I will have to push it back to the middle of April. I will let everyone know how it turns out

This is exactly the type of recipe I want to do this weekend for my Cinco De Mayo party. Is it true the acids from the peppers kill the head-retention? Any suggestions as a work around of this?

Thanks.

Is one whiole habanero really a good amount for a five-gallon batch? Those things are basically f'ing inedible, and I like heat.

Might give this a shot actually, that sounds delicious. Citra is probably a good idea. I love citra, but it is definitely a sweet taste that you get from late additions, especially if heavy late additions like mine. But I think that would work well with the habanero and mango, should emphasize the mango and balance out the habanero.

We used like 5 habaneroed total. Didnt damage head retention one bit. The heat was on the finish. The key was to spice it up until it got to ur liking. 1 pepper, let it sit in fermenter for a day. Taste. So on and so forth

This is exactly the type of recipe I want to do this weekend for my Cinco De Mayo party. Is it true the acids from the peppers kill the head-retention? Any suggestions as a work around of this?

Thanks.

I believe it's the oils that kill the head. In this case there's not enough oils in the chili to do that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

From what I've seen since the head retention has not been impacted by the habanero oils

Back