I bought a growler at the gas station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Apologies if that has been mentioned ( and I'm sure it has ) but I walked into my local A-plus gas station and was welcomed by a "craft beer exchange". They've got some very good beers on tap, and fill the growlers to order. I went to get gas and drove home with a fresh arrogant bastard and Dfh 60. Granted, it's expensive. And our local massive grocery chain (wegmans) has one of the larger beers of the world type setups I've seen. Nonetheless, this is a pretty cool thing they're doing.

http://craftbeerexchange.wordpress.com/locations/

how much does a growler of 60 minute cost?

how much does a 6 pack of 60 minute cost?

RDWHAHB said:
When I worked in NY I loved wegmans. They had everything!

Yes sir. They initiated this beers of the world section to combat the actual beers of the world store, and they have a ton of stuff

That is very cool. I wish more places around here would fill Growlers, too bad thee is not a better price break for using your own glass.

I think a 6 pack at wegmans is around 12$ and the growler was 13

you realize that's a bad deal mathematically, right? plus, the growler will start going flat after you open it.

the only reason i can see to buy a growler is if you can reuse it and get it filled, that is better on the environment. it takes a lot of energy to melt sand into glass, then melt the glass into bottles.

you realize that's a bad deal mathematically, right? plus, the growler will start going flat after you open it.

the only reason i can see to buy a growler is if you can reuse it and get it filled, that is better on the environment. it takes a lot of energy to melt sand into glass, then melt the glass into bottles.

!!!

Beer on tap is pretty much always better than bottled beer because it is fresh. I have a growler and I love filling it at Whole Foods. Last weekend I got a growler of Allagash White, cooked some mussels with it, and drank the rest of the growler with it. It was a great Saturday. :D

Dogphish said:

I do, but I prefer 60 on tap over bottles ( and we can't get the kegs around here ) either way, it's an interesting idea and ill always support any type of good beer promotion locally. It's refreshing that people can put down the labatt blue 28 pack, and get a few decent growlers instead.

ErieShores said:
You wouldn't miss the Pirates?

Hey they are better than Buffalos team. They loved my Malkin jersey the last time I was there. I see no problems ;)

rexbanner said:
!!!

Beer on tap is pretty much always better than bottled beer because it is fresh. I have a growler and I love filling it at Whole Foods. Last weekend I got a growler of Allagash White, cooked some mussels with it, and drank the rest of the growler with it. It was a great Saturday. :D

I disagree. I have had old kegs too. I would rather have a 6 pack myself. You have to drink a growler in one day to get the best out of it. I usually only get growlers of beer that's not bottled.

let me get this straight,A gas station has beer on tap?!?!?!?

when you fill the cars tank, you can go inside and grab a quick pint?

Fat_Bastard said:

when you fill the cars tank, you can go inside and grab a quick pint?

Unfortunately they have to "seal" the growler with a sticker because NY has strict no open container laws. The funny part about that is when I go to the brewery they send me on my way with fresh growlers free of any stickers sealing the caps.

I don't think they can serve pints though, I'm pretty sure NY state would charge them another liquor license for that.

Off topic, but when I moved to Florida back in the late 80s, they had a drive thru convenience store called Farm Store, with a cow logo. They used to sell draft beer...

I've lived in Louisiana a couple times (GEAUX TIGERS, beat Bama tonight!), and they have drive thru daquiri stores, where they'll sell you frozen drinks, and hand you the straw. They'll even sell them by the gallon...

I live up north in Watertown and we have a beer store here that does the same thing. Granted it is a beer store but they have 12 kegs on tap.

Back