poll : best technique to improve your brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowuries

Reaction score
I was wondering today what the single best thing that you started doing that improved the quality of your brew? And I'm talking beyond going all-grain.... was it pitching a yeast starter / controlled temp fermenting / etc... :rockin:

Good cold/hot breaks, temp control (throughout the entire process), and sanitation.

Bottle conditioning for me. Long and proper bottle conditioning which includes several weeks at 60-70f followed by several weeks of cold conditioning has produced some of my finest beers.

awesome input! I have gone on a brewing hiatus so I can sink money into my equipment. So, I'm trying to get a feel as where to put my money. Yeast starters I can do with no $$, but controlled temps... I'll have to figure out which route I want to take. I'm leaning more towards a fridge... any other tips?

I agree:
control of your yeast = control of your beer flavor profile.
So
1)pitch exactly the amount you need (ie lagers must have lots but a belgian or saison needs less so that the yeast are stressed)
2)control temp to control byproducts that the yeast produce: eg Lager = clean ferment with sulfide production, Saison = lots of esters and phenolics etc.

I agree:
control of your yeast = control of your beer flavor profile.
So
1)pitch exactly the amount you need (ie lagers must have lots but a belgian or saison needs less so that the yeast are stressed)
2)control temp to control byproducts that the yeast produce: eg Lager = clean ferment with sulfide production, Saison = lots of esters and phenolics etc.

There is a great point in this. Some of us, including me, are talking about temp control and yeast pitch as if they are somehow unrelated. I said temp control initially. That's great and everything, but if you're going to severly underpitch you may still have problems. The combination of the two is key! :mug:

Proper treatment of yeast made the greatest improvement in my beer. By that I mean pitching the correct amount of yeast (most homebrewers underpitch liquid yeast) and fermenting at the correct temperature for the specific yeast strain.

Proper treatment of yeast made the greatest improvement in my beer. By that I mean pitching the correct amount of yeast (most homebrewers underpitch liquid yeast) and fermenting at the correct temperature for the specific yeast strain.

Proper amount of yeast? Is there a guide somewhere that I can consult for different styles? I just did my first yeast starter for a British Dark and made up half of a growler for the starter... does that sound about right?

Controlling fermentation (yeast health, cell count, temperature, cell type [eg sanitation]) is about 90% of the battle.

If you can make clean beers, everything else is easy to figure out. This is far more important than all-grain. Most good brewers happen to do all-grain but a good brewer can make good extract beer if he wants. There are extract beers winning every year at NHC and I know of at least one prolifically successful competition brewer who brews nearly exclusively extract (some partial mash, never all-grain).

but controlled temps... I'll have to figure out which route I want to take. I'm leaning more towards a fridge... any other tips?

There's lots you can do for controlled temps. Obviously if you want it to be cooler a basement's a great place to ferment. If you need it cooler than what your basement can provide, setting the carboy in large bin / bucket of water helps bring the temp down a few more degrees. You can then each day toss in some freezer packs if you need it even cooler. To warm it up in the winter, you can put in a cheap pond / aquarium heater. No need for a fridge for me yet - although I'm not lagering, etc.

+1 to infinity. It's amazing how much this helped improve my beer.

It really turned my beer from alright to good; sometime really good. Still working on making it great, though.

Besides doing a good job sanitizing,

TEMP CONTROL!!

I think you'd have to seriously underpitch in order to even come close to causing the kinds of problems that fermenting too warm will cause. And it's not like pitching the correct amount of yeast is difficult or costly at all.

I was wondering today what the single best thing that you started doing that improved the quality of your brew? And I'm talking beyond going all-grain.... was it pitching a yeast starter / controlled temp fermenting / etc... :rockin:
Adding more hops?

Having a good recipe?

Oh yeah - and the temp/yeast thingy.

Fermenting at cooler temperatures and realizing that ambient temperature does not equal fermentation temperature. Also doing a full boil and learning to make a starter.

The best thing I have done to advance the quality of my beers was................

to brew again, and again, and again, and..............

pH checking and control - my tap water has high pH 8.05+
Besides Calcium - lactic in the sparge water and 5.2 in the mash.
Gained an extra 7 points efficiency.

This has been a great post. I've been on the high side on my ferment temps here in Florida and my beers haven't been turning out as well as I had hoped.

Time to get a fridge!

Back