What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged my Red IPA after dry hop, cleaned a couple of kegs, racked my Saison to 2°& cleaned all the carboys & transfer equipment. Had a few beers!

Busy morning...
Brewed a saison w/ some of the Jarrylo hops from the AHA sign up offer.
Put together a mead w/ some of the saison yeast and ECY Dirty Dozen.
Bottled last year's wild cider.
Bottled a small batch of table sour.
Racked this year's cider onto some 100% cranberry juice.

I drank some bourbon and looked at a bottle of beer in my fridge for a brief moment while grabbing a clod of beef.

Brewed a brown ale this morning.

BAbrewday.jpg

I had a tough vacation day I had to drink a couple 80 shillings and then a blonde that I just kegged and now I am pondering why this baby wheat beer taste oxidized maybe hmmm life is tough right now!:mug:

I gotta get some bottles washed & wrap gifts yet. 3 different beers have been taking up the top shelf of the fridge for some 10 days now. Gonna hit those later through tomorrow. It's supposed to rain tonight into tomorrow with this El nino winter, & I hope I can still pit bbq the turkey.

After 3 weeks bottle-conditioning, stuck a few Apricot Belgian Wits in the fridge for our Christmas gathering. I know, not a winter beer, but apricot-y nonetheless. Just started a Black IPA on dry hop. ~5 weeks out. FG sample was de-lish!

Anything apricot goes well with fowl. I used to make this apricot glaze with apricot jam, sweet butter & champagne to glaze Cornish hens stuffed with long grain & wild rice. Melt a stick of sweet butter in a small saucepan, then add the jam, stiring constantly to mix the two without burning, over low heat. Then add the champagne & stir. Flash the alcohol, then glaze the birds a time or two. Put back in oven to just set the glaze! :rockin::ban::rockin:

Picked up s few freebies from a friend

attachment.php

Two carboys, box of capping odds and ends and carb drops, and misc, a fridge, two buckets (that may get tossed), and 4 boxes of bottles.

Uhh, I think you may have a clogged airlock in that carboy in the back and pressure is building. Look at how it is bulging at the bottom.

That is a weird shaped carboy.

Uhh, I think you may have a clogged airlock in that carboy in the back and pressure is building. Look at how it is bulging at the bottom.

That is a weird shaped carboy.

Yeah, I haven't figured that one out yet. Maybe it's intended for wine?

EDIT:
Turns out it is vintage Crisa (Mexican brand) carboy. Pretty interesting. Gonna be a bit hard to clean. Sturdy though. My other glass carboys feel like wine glasses compared to this thing.

bottled up 2.5 gallons of a hibiscus Czech pale lager. dry hopped it with el dorado during the diacetyl rest last week.
put it in the fridge to lager before I give them out as gifts in the new year. was trying to finish them before Christmas, but my poor time management got in the way.. : P

Got the d-rest going on the BoPils I have in the fermenter, and ordered a ton of hops from Farmhouse: 8 oz of Ultra for the hoppy pilsner lager recipe in the last Zymurgy, 4 oz. each of Nugget and Centennial for an IPA, and 4 oz. of EKG for an ESB.

Finally found a big enough box in the garage for the last big bunch of bottles. I still need an easy, safe way to remove the labels to save/trade extras for other brewing swag. Now a ton of emptied bottles to scrub & dry as well. But at least the man cave/brewery is cleaned out a hair more...:ban:

Picked up the chest freezer that will become my fermentation chamber, drinking a blueberry wheat beer I as gifted for Christmas.

View attachment 325407
I cleaned up after Wyeast 3787 she's a bad girl. Blew the lid off and ran everywhere. There was a gallon of headspace in the fermenter. Crazy yeast!

Any time you ferment warm, especially those Belgian strains, you need more headspace. I usually put 5.5 gallons in a 7-gallon bucket, then ferment on the low side but my saison (which had to be warm) still blew the lid off.

Any time you ferment warm, especially those Belgian strains, you need more headspace. I usually put 5.5 gallons in a 7-gallon bucket, then ferment on the low side but my saison (which had to be warm) still blew the lid off.

Yeah I was worried about it but I like The ester/phenols you get from warming up Belgians. I would have used a blow off but the only blow off set up I have was used for a farmhouse with brett and I don't use plastic/rubber gear on clean beers once it's been used for something funky/sour. Time for a second blow off for "clean" beers.

I invited my neighbor over to sample all the beers I have on tap. He tried a cream ale, a nut brown ale, a dry irish stout, and a Chinook IPA (I also keep Yuengling on tap but I didn't offer that to him.) His favorite was the Chinook IPA, which surprised the hell out of me since he's a Coors Light drinker.

In the process of cleaning a bunch of bottles, did a minor reorg of the beer equipment closet, had two kegs run dry today so cleaned those along with the lines and faucets, put an oatmeal stout on one of the empty taps and changed the line on another keg (thought it was too long).

And now relaxing with a Joe's IPA and watching Red Zone. My name is Joe so I think they made this beer especially for me and days like this! :)

We're so sorry, uncle Albert. But we haven't done a bloody thing all day! we're so sorry, uncle Albert...but we're so easily drawn away!:mug:

It was brew day today...Through together another Porter with what I had on hand. Got 78% Brew House out of the ol' "John Deere Brewery" but I was only running her in 2 gear.......... Ya Ya I know.... go Blue and it will shoot up to 87% :p

Actually got 97.2 mash efficiency according to Beer Smith :ban: so spare me the banter. :tank:

2 hours 55 min Start to finish from dead start to final clean up.. And it was cold and snowing.

Thought about firing up the Bow Flex during boil but common sense kicked in and I opened a beer instead.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

Bottled up a "learning experience" brew today. It was my second brew, first brew in drinking now.

Anyways, made a all grain batch of literally all specialty grains. :'(. Well, it kind of smells like soy sauce, and taste kind of similar to that as well. I did add half a pound of light dme but it's bad lol. I should say it was only a gallon and a half so that's not horrible.

I did bottle 8 16.9pz bottles just to see what happens to it after a while.

Ready to brew from a reliable recipe from here on out though.

Cheers folks

made a starter of WLP-001 for my upcoming clone of nugget nectar.
got a gang load of hops for use this Wednesday!

Had a brew day nightmare... all grain kit was missing hops ... stuck sparge... bad hops lineup and timing audible... but we made beer.

Well, as my FIL used to say, I robbed Peter to pay Paul. gives me a lil extra $ to start the new year with. gotta get the rest of the ingredients for the mumme' brew day...

Realized I left my fermenting buckets in the garage with water in them...it's been about 20* outside for the better part of the month. Said screw it and ordered a stainless fermenter from SS Brewtech. Oops...

Back