Greetings from Western PA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperMan

Reaction score
Hey all,

After reading dozens of threads on this page as an up-and-coming hombrewer, I decided I might as well join up!

I received a Brewer's Best kit from "Santa" on Christmas just last year... ...okay, I bought it for myself... And was starting my first beer the very next day.

I'm REALLY having a lot of fun with this hobby and especially enjoy the fact that I can be successful at it at nearly any level of dilligence and cost.

My first beer was an Altitude Amber which came with the starter kit - purchased from Homebrewers.com. I did a two-week primary, two-week bottling - it came out good but now 2-3 weeks later, is much, much better.

My second kit is a honey brown, also from Homebrewers.com, which has been on primary for 1 week today. I'm going to let it sit another two weeks, then bottle it and condition for 3 weeks. It was a partial-mash kit, which I enjoyed preparing but might need some better equipment to continue doing.

And this past weekend I just started my own hard cider. I really like Woodchuck Draft Cider and last fall - during a business trip to Australia - fell in love with Five Seeds Cider by Toohees. My cider started off as 5 gallons unpasteurized apple cider (SUPER fresh from a local farm,) the zesting of four Florida oranges (thanks to some threads I read on this forum,) a pound of wildflower honey, a pound of dark brown sugar, and a few sticks of cinnamon. Pitched some champagne yeast, and now I have about 6 months of anxiety to deal with...

Anyways, I look forward to picking up some useful knowlege around here.

:tank: <- possibly my favorite emoticon on the internet...

Jeff a.k.a. the ViperMan

Hey all,

After reading dozens of threads on this page as an up-and-coming hombrewer, I decided I might as well join up!

I received a Brewer's Best kit from "Santa" on Christmas just last year... ...okay, I bought it for myself... And was starting my first beer the very next day.

I'm REALLY having a lot of fun with this hobby and especially enjoy the fact that I can be successful at it at nearly any level of dilligence and cost.

My first beer was an Altitude Amber which came with the starter kit - purchased from Homebrewers.com. I did a two-week primary, two-week bottling - it came out good but now 2-3 weeks later, is much, much better.

My second kit is a honey brown, also from Homebrewers.com, which has been on primary for 1 week today. I'm going to let it sit another two weeks, then bottle it and condition for 3 weeks. It was a partial-mash kit, which I enjoyed preparing but might need some better equipment to continue doing.

And this past weekend I just started my own hard cider. I really like Woodchuck Draft Cider and last fall - during a business trip to Australia - fell in love with Five Seeds Cider by Toohees. My cider started off as 5 gallons unpasteurized apple cider (SUPER fresh from a local farm,) the zesting of four Florida oranges (thanks to some threads I read on this forum,) a pound of wildflower honey, a pound of dark brown sugar, and a few sticks of cinnamon. Pitched some champagne yeast, and now I have about 6 months of anxiety to deal with...

Anyways, I look forward to picking up some useful knowlege around here.

:tank: <- possibly my favorite emoticon on the internet...

Jeff a.k.a. the ViperMan

Welcome Jeff! A fellow PA resident too...welcome to the obsession. Looks like you got a good start already, you will have to put a post up when that cider gets further along!

Welcome to the insanity... all that changes are the difficulty of the questions you ask and the amount of $$ you "think" you can save by doing this or that.

And if you SWMBO gets on you for spending too much, show her some pictures of some people's RIMS or HERMS setup and it'll get put in perspective ;-)

Welcome from the East side of the Commonwealth. Enjoy the ride. It's definitely an addiction. My SWMBO is considering starting a therapy group (HB ANON). She says I'm in need.

Lol - trust me. I'm a car enthusiast. Homebrewing is CHEAP compared to my other hobbies. :) I think I'll be able to keep this one in check!

So what is SWMBO anyways? I can guess at the meaning, but the actual acronym elludes me...

Lol - trust me. I'm a car enthusiast. Homebrewing is CHEAP compared to my other hobbies. :) I think I'll be able to keep this one in check!

So what is SWMBO anyways? I can guess at the meaning, but the actual acronym elludes me...

MUWHAHAHAHAHAHA! i won't tell you specifically but its "harry potterish" in use. When i finally figured it out i was laughing about it for a while.

Back