I will drink no beer before it's time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman250

Reaction score
I have tried beer after 2 weeks and after 3 weeks and so on, what I have learned is that 6 weeks is when it really starts tasting good. So I have vowed that I will not drink any beer before it's time, but will sit patently steering at the bottles drooling waiting until I can drink one. This is going to be hard but I'm going to do it. I think I'll start a support group. If I can hold off I think I have my batches timed right so I will always have home brew to drink.

vanman250

good luck with that, man. :)

I have "vowed" more than once to never open mine until 3 weeks after bottling, but I usualy manage to hold out for about 10 days or so.

This is exactly what a friend of mine that used to brew told me when I said I was going to start. He never had the patiance to wait, but those last couple of bottles that had been sitting for a month tasted much better than the first couple.

I doubt I will be able to wait that long for my first batch. I'm hoping to get another batch going so I can start one while the other ages. :ban:

Yeah, 10 days is usually all I can go without cracking one open for quality assurance purposes. Then about every 3-4 days following. They clearly improve with age. I like to get another batch going so that I have a new batch of beer to obsess over and hopefully leave the bottles of the other batch alone long enough to live to get good.

I normally am lucky if I can wait 2 weeks to try the first one. I agree, though-- at 6 weeks is when it really usually gets good. By that time I'm through the first case and only have about 20 bottles left in number two. Man, that first bottle I taste that is really good totally P's me off when I look and see that the batch is over half gone!

I suppose that if they told everyone 6 weeks instead of 2 weeks no one would ever start homebrewing because they would think that it takes too long.

The secret is to store it somewhere that you can't see it and never have reason to go to - like my water heater room. That way you only think about like 10 times a day instead of staring at it and thinking about it constantly.

I was just going to start a thread on this. I made a post about a German Ale I made that had a weird taste that I couldn't identify. Now I know what it is - it is the taste of beer that has been drunk before it is time!! My ale is now a whole new beer. It tastes great now and simply because I let it age a bit.

It is all true when the old timers say just relax and wait... patience is everything.
You WILL be rewarded.:mug:

Now that I know what a difference aging makes in my brew I'm glade to wait. Too bad the sames not true for me the more I age the worse it is and the really sad part is that the older you get the easier it is to say only 4 more weeks and I can drink that beer. When I was younger and had more time ahead of me I would be sampling the beer the next day thinking I can't wait for ever. I long for the relief death will bring. A resent study between married men and single men show that married men are more willing to die. OK enough of the death talk I'm drinking that beer ready or not.

vanman250

vanman250 said:
Now that I know what a difference aging makes in my brew I'm glade to wait. Too bad the sames not true for me the more I age the worse it is and the really sad part is that the older you get the easier it is to say only 4 more weeks and I can drink that beer. When I was younger and had more time ahead of me I would be sampling the beer the next day thinking I can't wait for ever. I long for the relief death will bring. A resent study between married men and single men show that married men are more willing to die. OK enough of the death talk I'm drinking that beer ready or not.

vanman250

Dude: It sounds like you really need to follow Charlie Papazian's advice. You maybe even need to relax and have two homebrews!

As I sit and read this thread I have to laugh at my self. I'm sucking down a 10 day old hefeweizen that is going to be really good with some age. I just can't seem to wait before I crack the first bottle and sample it.

On a related topic....for those of you who are kegging, do you just let your beer bulk age in a secondary or do you go ahead and keg it up and then wait for it to age? Does the presence of disolved CO2 help it age properly?

2 or more brews would be better. I think waiting for my brew to age is starting to get to me. I also have a hefeweizen aging 1 more week and it will be 6 weeks. Waiting to try the hefeweizen has been the hardest. I can't wait to see if I even came close to the ones I bought at the micro brewery.

vanman250

Best way to let em age is to get ahead of the brewing game. Commit to brew every weekend for the next 4-5 weeks; get that backlog going and then every other week until you don't know where to put em all like Homebrewer_99 / Bill. :D.

Oh, I KNOW where to put 'em!!! In a half liter mug!!!! :drunk: :drunk:

I've already had 3 of my Czech Bud's tonight (2 from #6003 and the other from #5020)...man, I have got to brew more of this...like maybe 6 batches next winter...of course, I'm planning on building some of those cold fermenting boxes so maybe some summer lager (sounds like an oximoron)...OK, quit rambling...:drunk:

Man, I wish all you guys and gals "heads" could be where mine is now...:drunk:

Back