Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
How do you cold crashers avoid suck-back through your airlock? I'm considering using one of my S-shaped airlocks but though there might be a better option I'm not seeing.

I don't think you'll have an issue. The liquid isn't going to drop temps fast enough to create a vacuum. At least, I've never had an issue with it. I use a standard 3 piece airlock.

I don't think you'll have an issue. The liquid isn't going to drop temps fast enough to create a vacuum. At least, I've never had an issue with it. I use a standard 3 piece airlock.

+1. Never had a problem with it. Even if it does happen, as long as you're using StarSan in your airlock.

I ferment in a Sanke keg inside a kegerator which then has a blowoff tube in the top. I just had a 1/2 gallon of StarSan get sucked back two days ago! This is the first time it ever happened to me. I'm hoping a 1/2 gallon (diluted) won't ruin the 10.5-11 gallons of beer that is in there.

I ferment in a Sanke keg inside a kegerator which then has a blowoff tube in the top. I just had a 1/2 gallon of StarSan get sucked back two days ago! This is the first time it ever happened to me. I'm hoping a 1/2 gallon (diluted) won't ruin the 10.5-11 gallons of beer that is in there.

A half gallon of sanitizer will definately give you an odd taste.

A half gallon of sanitizer will definately give you an odd taste.

The sanitizer had cleared up pretty good before the crash cool. Does it precipitate out when sitting in an open jug? It had been sitting in the jug for two weeks during the fermentation, so maybe it wasn't all that strong. I'll be dry hopping too, so hopefully it will be salvageable.

I use vodka in my airlocks but have no desire to have it sucked back into my beer. It evaporates pretty quickly, making me unsure if it still maintains its bacteria fighting alcohol content.

I'm not a fan of the s-tube method, but a little O2 is more desirable than old vodka and possibly some O2 after the vodka was sucked in. Thanks Johnnybrew for the link, that provided some good tips and sciency thoughts.

I'll take a peek in the chest freezer tonight to see the state of the airlock when I add the gelatin. It's pretty hard to mess up a nearly finished beer, so I'm not overly worried, just wanted to expand my thought process on a different part of the brewing process...

i take a piece of saran wrap and folded it over several times and twist it. then spray the **** out of it with starsan, stick it in the hump on my keezer.

THe reason i dont use an air lock is that the height becomes too tall. I've never had any issues with my method.

Latest posts

Back