thinking about brewing my first sour...good/bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentx3

Reaction score
i have been lurking this wild brewing subforum for awhile now and i figured before taking the plunge i would ask for opinions on this being a good or bad idea.

initially i was planning on making a belgian strong golden ale, something similar to a duvel, using wyeast 1388. then, inspired by a bottle of cuvee rene i was drinking, i thought what if i made a starter using the 1388 + dregs from a cuvee rene and then using this to pitch to primary. i figured since i am planning on sitting on the belgian strong for awhile after brewing anyways (4 months), the cuvee rene could add some nice funkiness to it too, keeping in mind the longer it sits the funkier it gets...

...or is this a bad idea? would the 1388 overpower the cuvee rene dregs in a starter, making this kind of pointless?

any other tips/suggestions?

I'm not sure if the rene has viable bacteria in the dregs or not, someone else might have to chime in on that one. If you're trying to get as much sourness out of it as possible, I would skip the 1388 starter, but make one for the dregs (no O2) and co-pitch both into primary and leave for the duration of the fermentation. It would be a good idea to find a few other sours you enjoy and go ahead and pitch those dregs as well to bump up the diversity of your bugs. Hope that helps.

A funky belgian strong would be great. I never bother with a starter for sours. The esters created from under pitching always seem to disappear by the time they are finished. There is viable bacteria in the cuvee bottle. If you can get Jolly Pumpkin I would recommend adding their dregs since they are so aggressive.

agreed on no 1388 starter, but im not sure how much sour you are gunna get out of a BGSA, the high alcohol content is going to inhibit souring from the bacteria. you'll still get some funk from the brett, but might be pretty mild sour depending on how strong the cuvee rene dregs are

thank you all for the responses. i should have clarified i am not looking for a particularly "sour" beer but just something a bit wild.

excited to get started on this, looks like brew day will be new years!

Back