sudoe saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perrypainter

Reaction score
So I had a lot of american pale 2-row, hence the use of it instead of pilsner. I am more going for the rye. I also have a huge amount of hops in my freezer, not much as nobles go, this is my best shot so far. Please help with any suggestions. Also, I have a huge Rosemary bush...eh?

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Mash Temp: 148 F
Mash time: 90 min

Ingredients:
Pale 2-row: 7.5 lbs
Rye Malt: 3.0 lbs
Flaked oats: 1.25 lbs
Honey: 0.75 lbs

Hops:
Goldings: 1.00oz 60min
Fuggle: 0.50oz 30min
Fuggle: 0.50oz 15min
Liberty: 1.00oz 10min
Liberty: 0.50oz 05min
(little weird, I know but I gotta kill these Liberty and Goldings.)

I had to type that out myself so yeah. Anyway, if anyone could chime in as to whether or not rosemary would be good.
Cheers!

pseudo.

Also, your base looks decent for a "use up the cupboard" kind of saison. I use Goldings all the time in saisons (both EKG and Styrian, which is actually a slovenian Fuggle). Never tried Liberty in anything. What yeast do you plan to use?

I've done rosemary in a dark saison, and it came through strong despite putting in only 4gm dried at flameout. Take a light hand with that one, for sure.

I just recently brewed a saison that was probably of my best beers.

I would recommend the Goldings/Fuggle combo and keep the IBU around 20-25. I would hold off of rosemary because you don't want to overpower the yeast character which is the point of brewing Belgian beers.

A low hop and grain profile (meaning not dominating the final taste) will bring out the yeast character. I would recommend Wyeast french saison strain. First off, it makes an absolutely wonderful saison. Also it ferments out pretty quickly at room temperature. The Belgian version from Wyeast tends to get hung up around 1.030 and needs extra time or extra yeast to finish out. Also the Begian version requires higher fermentation temps >80 F to create fermentation byproducts for a great saison.

You will be absolutely amazed at the flavors you can obtain from yeast alone.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, i forgot to put the "p" in quotations, spelled correctly the play on words gets lost.:)
yeast is gonna be white labs saison. I think it's the 565. I think I will hold back on Rosemary, at least for my first crack at it. I know everyone swears by the wyeast, but I don't have access to it. We shall see.

insubordinateK, would you recommend losing the liberty altogether??

The 565 is the equivalent of the Belgian Wyeast that he speaks of. Just have to get the temp up and make sure it finishes the job. The result is tasty. Try to get your hands on the Wyeast 3711 French Saison if you need something to finish this up. The last time I used it, it ate the lid off of my bucket and 2 winter coats after it finished all the sugars.

The 565 is the equivalent of the Belgian Wyeast that he speaks of. Just have to get the temp up and make sure it finishes the job. The result is tasty. Try to get your hands on the Wyeast 3711 French Saison if you need something to finish this up. The last time I used it, it ate the lid off of my bucket and 2 winter coats after it finished all the sugars.

haha, ok great. Hopefully this works out well enough. I am planning on just keeping it in the garage or maybe the bathroom, prob the bathroom.
How about the Liberty? Im almost done with the mash so I guess too late.

Yeh, I love 565. Just do a good job making the yeast happy and it ferments out great. I use yeast nutrient, a starter, and oxygen. I also use sugar in the grist. Just 1 lbs.

I pitch at the mid 60's and let rise to room temp, here in florida that can get 80's easy. Primary for 2 wks. It usually isn't finished when I transfer to secondary, but close. let it stay there for a month and bottle. I had an OG 1.050 FG 1.007

My since it is a yeast driven beer, the yeast just have to be made happy. Happy yeast = happy brewer. Best of luck!

I've had the best success with 565/3724 when I throw in 1tsp of DAP and 1tsp of the wyeast nutrient. I haven't had it stall when doing that and keeping it at 80.

Back