Boil Over Hop Loss???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtank

Reaction score
I need help I just brewed my 6th batch and had my first boil over. When it boiled over most of all my hops bubbled out. should i dry hop in the secondary and if so any recommendations of a hop that would work well with a oatmeal stout

Was it your first/bittering hop addition at the beginning of the boil? If so dry hopping won't help as you have to boil the hops to get the oils out of them. Were there any other hop additions? I feel bad for you, I hate taking the time to sanitize everything, spend money on ingredients and take all of the time out to brew and then something goes wrong... then you are stuck waiting a month to see if it even amounts to something drinkable. :(

I know it looks like a big mess, but you've probably lost a lot less than you think. There's not really much you can do at this point. Dry hopping will not add bitterness and will add flavor and aroma that are counter to the style. The good news is it's still beer! RDWHAHB

I've had this happen to me many times and here is my feelings/SWAG on the topic (FWIW):

I think there are two steps in getting hop bitterness into wort:
The first step is the extraction of hop oils from the plant/vegetable matter into beer and the second is isomerization of oils that allows them to be soluble and actually give you hop bitterness in your beer.

The first step is really quick (within a minute of adding), which is why boil overs do not seem to cause any loss in final IBUs....any volume loss that occurs with a boil-over results in proportional loss of hop bitterness/IBU. Whatever volume/hop oils that are left in your kettle post-boil-over then undergo isomerization (step 2) and you have your beer at more/less at the same final IBU.

Long story short....boil-overs suck because of mess and volume loss...but it really doesn't change bittering level (at least in my experience).

Use FermCap and boil-overs will be just a memory.

I think there are two steps in getting hop bitterness into wort:
The first step is the extraction of hop oils from the plant/vegetable matter into beer and the second is isomerization of oils that allows them to be soluble and actually give you hop bitterness in your beer.

The first step is really quick (within a minute of adding), which is why boil overs do not seem to cause any loss in final IBUs....any volume loss that occurs with a boil-over results in proportional loss of hop bitterness/IBU. Whatever volume/hop oils that are left in your kettle post-boil-over then undergo isomerization (step 2) and you have your beer at more/less at the same final IBU.

Long story short....boil-overs suck because of mess and volume loss...but it really doesn't change bittering level (at least in my experience).

Correct.

I was bummed all day thinking about this. Wow thank you guys I feel much better now after reading all your post's. I'm sure it will be fine (it's still beer after all). But I came home to yet another disaster the fermenter bubbled over(pulling my hair out) AHHHHH! One thing I didn't mention is that this was my first time fermenting in a corny keg. I only lost a few ounces so I'm not worried about anything else affecting flavor.

Now I cant help but wanting to experiment with this batch like maybe something in the secondary (muhahaha!) any recommendations. I was thinking about maybe some wood chips.

This was a Oatmeal Stout kit from LBS. I only added hops at beginning and Nottingham yeast

Latest posts

Back