Noob starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deflagratio

Reaction score
OK so I was stupid and accidentally put my WL029 in the freezer for about 2 days. Well I made a starter using lme and the gravity was a little high so I decanted off some of the wort and added tap water. Well now I don't know if it's actually working. I get a very light brown layer (about same color as was in the vial) on the bottom although there seems to be more than was in the vial.. I shake it every 2 hours when I can but the layer settles back quickly. After I shake up the bottle (using a well washed 2 liter coke bottle) I am getting the classic carbonated opening sound. Is my yeast dead or is this what it's supposed to do?

Is there anything floating on the top of the fermenter and/or can you smell anything coming off it? I've never put liquid yeast in the freezer but I doubt if the UPS delivery trucks are heated during the cold winter months, so I'd be interested to know how this turns out for you.

The Screwy Brewer

How long has your starter been going? What was the OG of the starter and have you measured the FG yet? If it's giving you carbonation it's probably fermenting...

Well when I woke up this morning both starters where going great. My best guess is that I had of lot of dead or weak yeast that needed time to get going. Guess I just needed to RDWHAHB.

Back