Kolsch for My second extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki4711

Reaction score
I'm planing on brewing this on Sunday for my 2nd Extract brew.

Kölsch
6-C Kölsch

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 165.88 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.044 - 1.050)
|=======================#========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.007 - 1.011)
|=============================#==|
Color: 4.66 (3.5 - 5.0)
|====================#===========|
Alcohol: 4.9% (4.4% - 5.2%)
|==================#=============|
Bitterness: 21.1 (20.0 - 30.0)
|=========
#======================|

Ingredients:
0.5 lb Munich Malt 2
0.25 lb Pilsen Malt
.25 lb Wheat Malt
6.6 lb CBW® Pilsen Light Liquid (Malt Extract)
.5 oz Perle (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Hallertau Hersbruck (2.2%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
.5 oz Hallertau Hersbruck (2.2%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
1.0 ea WYeast 2565 Kolsch

My biggest concern is the fermentation. I am planing on doing primary at 64* F in my kegerator for 10 days then doing a secondary for 3 weeks. What temp should i keep the secondary fermentation at?

Anyone have any other advice for this brew?

Thanks for the help :mug:

I'll be brewing a type of this beer soon too, so I've been doing my research. I'll be using the Wyeast 2565 in a 5 gallon batch. I've learned from the experience of others that the primary should be right around where you're already at, 64. I've also learned that the secondary should not go above 70...preferrably not letting the beer go above 70 to reduce the amount of hangover producing esters.

Take that with a grain of salt, since this is going to be my first batch in about 10 years.

You know, the only Kolsch I have ever drank was really horse-blankety. Yet, I wouldn't trade that experience for the world.

Out of curiosity, however, how is a true Kolsch supposed to taste?

I'm planning on brewing a Kolsch too, and from my research, it seems that the yeast is slow to flocculate. In Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil recommends lagering the beer for 4 weeks. From what I've read on this site, many lager at 40F or lower for 4 to 5 weeks to clarify the beer. If you have a kegerator that you are fermenting in, why not just lower the temp and let the beer condition for a few weeks?

Its very light, crisp, clear and has low carbonation. Its not very hoppy and should not be bitter. Its got very slight honey and fruit notes. It tastes best on tap. I have bought bottles in the states and it never tastes right so I have given up on drinking it. I hope this will turn out nice. I had one nice Kolsch in the States brewed by Pyramid Ale. I think the are based in Seattle.

If i lager it at 36-40* will it bother the yest for bottle carbonation? Will i have to keep the bottles at 68*? for a few weeks?

those temperature shouldn't harm the yeast. You will need to hold the bottles at a warmer temp to carbonate. You could try to carbonate the bottles at those colder temperatures, but it would take a long time.

When I cold condition I like to sprinkle in a few grams of dry yeast. It will carb much faster. Even when it's not needed it does no harm. The few points needed for carbonation has no impact on flavor.

What are you using for your secondary though? Bucket or Carboy?

I use a Better Bottle carboy.

Carboy (glass or plastic), keg, plastic bucket - it shouldn't really matter as long as it won't let air in. Some will say that the air space and surface area are more important than the type of container. Putting beer in the secondary does expose it to oxygen, and could lead to oxidation. That said, for a long time, I used a 6-gallon carboy instead of a 5 and never had a problem.

Do some looking around as well - a lot of folks do not recommend a secondary for most ales. Several people use one only when cold conditioning or adding flavors (dry hop, fruit, etc.). FWIW, I secondary everything - I think my beer comes out clearer doing so - but there is a lot of vocal opposition to doing so. The biggest problem with using a secondary is sanitation. The more stuff your beer touches, the more chance it has to pick up nasties along the way.

I'm not against using the secondary, just doing my research, but is it ok to cold crash the beer in the primary after fermentation has completed?

Kinda off topic, but I've heard that getting off flavors from letting the beer sit on the yeast cake is mostly a myth and doesn't realy affect the finished beer's flavor. Is that correct, or should I get the beer off the yeast as soon as fermentation is complete?

Here's my 2-cents:

You can cold crash in a primary. Cold crashing should only take a few days, maybe a week for most beers. Lagers (and in this case, Kolsch) often sit in the cold for weeks finishing up their business, so getting it off the yeast and into a secondary (or even the keg your are going to serve it in, if you keg) is best. Which brings us to your second question - it is my understanding that leaving beer on the yeast too long can cause off flavors. The "myth" is how long is too long: 4 to 6 weeks shouldn't be a problem; 4 to 6 months might be. It still seems that some of this is up for debate.

Latest posts

Back