Splitting Yeast packets for double use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
Lets say I want to use 1 wyeast packet, and use it on 2 batches of beer. 1 I want to do tomorrow night, and the other I would do in a matter of weeks. My question is, is this possible to create a "starter" for future use and 1 for immediate use? Say, in 3 weeks time? Or would I be better off just buying another yeast packet? I have never created a starter before, and never have re used yeast.

You can propagate all kinds of yeast out of one pack, but it probably won't be ready by tomorrow night.

Lets say I want to use 1 wyeast packet, and use it on 2 batches of beer. 1 I want to do tomorrow night, and the other I would do in a matter of weeks. My question is, is this possible to create a "starter" for future use and 1 for immediate use? Say, in 3 weeks time? Or would I be better off just buying another yeast packet? I have never created a starter before, and never have re used yeast.

This is what I do. The yeast producers should have thier proffit. But not that dam much profit. So I use a syringe and put one Ml yeast into six baby food jars with agar. Then pitch the remainder to the starter. I get seven total brews from one pack by this mehod.

This is what I do. The yeast producers should have thier proffit. But not that dam much profit. So I use a syringe and put one Ml yeast into six baby food jars with agar. Then pitch the remainder to the starter. I get seven total brews from one pack by this mehod.

1 Milli liter each? And by agar do you mean sugar?
I would like to do this, as yeast is one of the most expensive things to buy. (other than hops of course)
I am assuming that you store it all in the fridge of course. I don't know if I would have enough room for all of that in my fridge.

HUM

Anyway we could get some better detail on this method please

I'd make a starter from the whole pack, ferment this batch, harvest the slurry from that batch and save it in the fridge until you need it again.

Is there a link to this that you can provide , that has a detailed instructions on how to do it? Or can you possibly elaborate on this some? I am using a Bavarian Wheat strain, that I am going to need for another recipe once I finish building my Keezer.

I freeze my yeast using glycerine. http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

A month ago I pitched a year old frozen sample into a starter and it took off without a hitch. I pitched into my wort when it was ready and it made my best beer as of yet. No infections or off flavors. Now when I buy yeast I'll make a starter from maybe a 1/4 of the vial/smack pack and the rest I'll freeze for future using 25ml tubes I bought at a lab supply shop. $6-8 is a lot of money if you ask me. If I can save that money I can put it to better equipment, ingredients, etc.

Like anything dealing with yeast there is always a risk of infection but if your sanitation practices are sound, there is no reason not to save yeast for future batches.

I'd make a starter from the whole pack, ferment this batch, harvest the slurry from that batch and save it in the fridge until you need it again.

That's what I do. The simple way is to collect the slurry in sanitized mason jars and store in the fridge and pitch within a month of collection. Only pitch about a third of what you collected in a single beer.

Once I start going over a month I like to make a new starter with the collected slurry to ensure it is OK. Never found one that wasn't OK.

I like to wash the yeast too, so it's a little more complicated, but not much. Try collecting it and re-using it a couple of times, and then research washing.

Latest posts

Back