What are some of the signs of overpitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading through the forums now about the dangers of overpitching yeast and wondered if anyone knows of physical signs one can observe that would indicate an overpitch of yeast. (I do use yeast calculators for my brews but my curiousity has me thinking that needing to use a blowoff tube or replacing airlocks due to being filled with krausen may not be an indicator of healthy fermentation.)

What is the flavor impact? I have never overpitched and am curious about this issue too.

What is the flavor impact? I have never overpitched and am curious about this issue too.

The best info I have seen all typed out comprehensively comes from this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

Based on my own experience, I've only sampled a couple of beers that I know were overpitched. The result was just a bland but "hot dog"ish beer, if that makes sense, in one case. In the other case, it was "ok" but not as clean as I thought it would be.

If your 5 gallon batch no longer fits in your 6.5 gal. carboy - you may have overpitched your yeast.

Sounds like a very active krausen does not necessarily imply that I overpitched my yeast which is good. I have 4 gallons fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket (5 gallons actual size) so this may be the source of the issue.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back