Like the Heatstick. How about a temp probe stick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

variverrat

Reaction score
I'm really liking the flexibility of using heatsticks rather then mounting directly to the keggle. My biggest concern was cleaning with a permanent mount.

Along that same line of thinking, has anyone tried making a temperature probe stick? I'm thinking adding the temp probe to the heatstick, low enogh so I can still do 5 gallon batches but high enough that the element doesn't affect the reading.

Anyone tried something like that?

No, but I do have a piece of 1/4" copper with the end rolled and crimped shut that I insert an RTD probe in. The copper is long enough to go to the bottom of a keg.
I'm sure the copper slows the response a bit, but not too bad...
Works great.

Ed

Yes, I built a few for my BCS probes. They work awesome, I highly recommend! I drilled a small hole in the lid of my mashtun cooler so that I can take spot temp measurements. They also work great for measuring temps during post-boil cooling.

I needed a probe in my cooler mash tun, and created this probe housing that others might find useful as well. I didn't really want to drill a hole into the side of the cooler when I could drill a hole in the top instead. Not only does this probe work great for taking grain bed temp measurements, but I plan to use it with a stopper in a fermentation carboy as well.

The build was extremely simple, 2 parts. Length of 3/8 OD soft copper, and a brass 1/4 to 3/8 compression union, Watts A-109. Doesn't get any easier than that :)

A few things that I ran into.. The tip of the probe wasn't exactly round, probably from melting it shut at the manufacturer, but I rubbed it on a piece of sandpaper and it cleaned right up and the union slid over. Also, I wasn't sure if the clear plastic that joins the probe to the wire would fit inside the copper. But with a little pressure it squeezed in. So I didn't have to make any permanent changes to the probe, other than sanding down the end, which I consider an improvement.

Its fully waterproof, and has already proven to be so handy that I'm going to make a second. And if your worried about brass, you can easily substitute stainless tubing/union.
file.php

file.php
http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/posting.php?f=4&p=584

Back