am I making bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwashko

Reaction score
I have a blackberry porter sitting in secondary right now. Per the recipe, I added quite a bit of pureed fruit in the secondary along with the original beer. There is a good inch and a half of fruit sludge on the bottom of my carboy. My concern is that when I move to a bottling bucket, I'm going to stir up some previously inaccessible sugars and I'll end up making some bottle bombs. Anybody have any experience with this?

I have a blackberry porter sitting in secondary right now. Per the recipe, I added quite a bit of pureed fruit in the secondary along with the original beer. There is a good inch and a half of fruit sludge on the bottom of my carboy. My concern is that when I move to a bottling bucket, I'm going to stir up some previously inaccessible sugars and I'll end up making some bottle bombs. Anybody have any experience with this?

If you are concerned with this, rack it to a secondary for a week then to the bottling bucket.

Yeah, when I do a fruit beer I usually add the fruit in secondary, and then rack the beer to a tertiary for a couple of weeks. It helps with clarity too.

Why stir it up again and then let it settle for another week or so? Since it's already in secondary there's no concern of off flavors coming from the trub. Moving to teritiary just increases chances of infection.

Back