Fermentation too fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenPanda

Reaction score
So I haven't brewed in 4 years and I've encountered something I have never had this problem before. Basically we had left over grain and powdered malt from 4 years ago so we got new hops and yeast and proceeded to brew. After pitching the yeast I went to bed, only to awaken 4 hours later to find my airlock full of wort and foam coming out of the holes on top. Soon after I woke, while trying to figure out what to do, it popped its top. After checking to see if I was a victim of a drive-by, I cleaned the airlock, it was plugged and attached a blow off. Now foam is being pushed into the blow off bottle (I don't know what its called) and its gassing at a rate that would make cows blush.

I am afraid that its going to clog again and I won't catch it in time, resulting in a big mess. Did I do something wrong? We used old grain and malt but used the same brand and types of yeast and hops that lead us to 5 successful brews before. The room wasn't that hot - 65ish.

I gave the wort a taste before it went in and it tasted sweeter than normal. I know before we used 7lbs of malt this time we used just over 6, so ....

Went home today to check on my baby. Popped the top again. Looking in it does look like the foam has subsided a lot, so hopefully thats the end of that. That being said, its still bubbling at a good clip, just not as bad as before. The temp inside was 75 and room temp was 78.

Back