Any Ideas for a Plum Wine or some kind of brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I have about 15 plum trees in my yard, so many wasted plums as they only have a short harvest time once they ripen. This year (going by their every other year cycle) I plan to have close to 100lbs of plums. these are a mix of varieties but all are small and extremely sweet (about twice the size of a large grape)

So I figured time to make a wine, or a fortified wine or something.

Also any idea how to extract the juice without buying a juice press, around here I am looking at $400 for a juice press that I may only get to use once every two years (unless I get onto making wild apple cider)

Anyway, I have until September to figure this out...

These should help you get a start, they may leave some room for questions. I know I still have questions.

By the way, I have never attempted either of these recipies.

google up yugoslavian schlivovitz (plum brandy). don't do it if it's illegal where you live.

I remembwer being told about a fermentation chart available onlne. Can't find it at the moment, but on the chart it list's fruits in order by the most fermentable to the least. I clearly remember that grapes are at the top and plum's come in as #2. That being said there is no reason you cannot make a plum wine the same way you would make a grape wine. I don't see why you couldn't get a large barrel and stomp them just like grapes too. Syphon off the juices and mix with yeast, nutrient and such.
My first batch of fruit wine was plum and it was just plums, apple concentrate (maybe 1/5) and wine yeast. It turned out fantastic!

I know of places that ferment fruit and then somehow extract later. Problem is, stone fruit throw a little cyanide, which tastes like vanilla from what I have heard. So there is something I'm missing in the process...

Back