Bottle Bomb's - how to proceed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstelley

Reaction score
After letting a 5 gallon carboy of sauvignon:( age for a year, it tasted almost right. I back sweetened to the proper level and added metabisulfate to prevent fermentation.
I then bottled it. I tried a bottle after a month and it tasted really good! I decided to let it age in the cellar for another month.

Opened one of the cases, took out a bottle and noticed a slight film on the bottom. Opened the bottle and it fizzed over like soda! tasted horrible!

I checked the rest and found that 2 of the bottles blew the corks.

they must have fermented again, yes?

So...

Now what? How can I salvage? Should I try and put back into the carboy and start back at the secondary stage?

ideas?

Thanks!

Metabisulfite doesn't prevent re-fermentation. You need sorbate and sulfites together to do that.

Correct! Next time, add the sulfite and sorbate in the proper dosage by racking the perfectly clear wine into it in a new carboy, and let it sit for a few days. Sweeten to taste, then let it sit another few days (or longer). If fermentation doesn't recur, it can be bottled.

For this batch, you can uncork and recork and hopefully that will do the trick. Pouring them into a carboy at this point will oxidize the wine, and ruin it. You could just uncork to let out the gas, and then recork it, and then decant the wine when serving to get rid of any residual gas. There really isn't a good fix to this, I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Back