Black IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsprowls

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed what I intended to be a black IPA, but it came out relatively sweet because of all the Malt (as it aged it got sweeter, it was actually pretty hoppy at the start).

Even though it wasn't as hoppy as intended, it was still delicious. I am going to brew it again.

I also want to try it once with less malt so I can satisfy my inner hop head. Here is the problem. I moved. The local place by my new house has nowhere near the ingredients as the place by my old house =( Now I have to alter the recipe. I have altered it with available ingredients and have attached the link to their website. I was hoping they would have more than the site indicated... but I went in.... they don't.

I am hoping you guys could take a look at what is available and possibly make suggestions on alterations. I have included intended alterations lower in the post, but suggestions are always great!
http://www.amwinesupplies.com/

Here is the old recipe.

1lb Crystal Malt 60L
1lb CarfaIII
1/2lb Crystal Malt 80L

9lbs Muntons Light DME

90 min: 1 oz Columbus
75 min: 1oz Nugget
60 min: 1oz Magnum
45 min: 1oz Columbus
30 min: .5 oz Citra
15 min: .5 oz Citra
Dry hop 1 oz Citra

Here is the new recipe based off of available ingredients at the new place

1lb Crystal Malt 60L
1lb Black Barley
1lb Crystal Malt 80L (went with a pound because they won't sell a half pound, and I don't have a way to crack my grains or a dry place to store them)

7lb Golden Light DME

90min 1oz Chinook
75 min 1oz Nugget
60 min 1oz Northern Brewer
45 min 1oz Chinook

30 min 1oz Citra
15 min 1oz Citra
Dry hop 1oz Citra

Nottingham Yeast

Latest posts

Back