Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
All, I am about to send my keggles to the welder and I have a question. First of all, it is a buddy, so the welds are going to basicly free. I originally was going to have him weld a coupler for the ball valve and a half coupler for the siteglass/thermo combo, about 3-5" apart. I ordered all the parts and was getting them ready for him. I guess I ordered to many full couplers and have 5 spare.(did not realize the siteglass/thermo came with them) I was wonder if I should have him weld the extra ones in, even if I am not going to use them and just get some plugs from Bargin or McMaster.

I am going to start with a gravity feed system and as I can afford or sneak by the SWMBO, upgrade the system with pumps, would love to go electric some day. I was thinking since he is doing the welds for some beer, should I just add the other two couplers and plan for the future, and if so where?

One right below the top lip for recirc, one a little below half way for a temp probe?

To start, these are going to be my HLT and my BK. I am going to use a 70qt cooler for the MLT.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a Extract brewing planning to move to AG this spring, just starting to get the equipment ready.

Good idea. Definitely add a recirc coupler up top on the MLT and HLT. You may want to recirc ice water in the HLT thru a plate chiller to cool wort in the future. Don't put the coupler for the probe too high. I have an automated system and almost made that mistake. Make sure it is low enough to get a reading if you do a 5gal batch. Same thing with your thermometer. I've got a single tier three keggle setup.

If you have a buddy that welds, how much problem would it be to have him add more couplings later?

In other words... don't poke extra holes in your kegs, plan what you need.

As you use your setup, you will kind of figure out what you need and the best place for additional couplings. Asking for advise on this is going to get you input from others who may have a setup totaly different that yours. If this is a one shot deal with your buddy, it may be a different story, but if he is going to be available later, have them added as needed... IMHO.

BTW... I don't know if you have looked at any of the welding threads here, but if you haven't you might want to. Welding SS Kegs can be problematic even for experienced welders.

Good Luck,
Ed

BTW... I don't know if you have looked at any of the welding threads here, but if you haven't you might want to. Welding SS Kegs can be problematic even for experienced welders.

Good Luck,
Ed

+1 I learned this lesson the tough way.

This is probably a one time thing, my friend sends a ton of work to a machine shop for the job he is on and they said they will do the welds. They do food grade welds with stainless all the time, NSM something. I think I am just going to weld a coupler near the top in the BK so I can wire up a whirlpool fitting. Might do the same to the HLT and just plug it, so I could use it as a second BK if needed.

Thanks for the advice!

This is probably a one time thing, my friend sends a ton of work to a machine shop for the job he is on and they said they will do the welds. They do food grade welds with stainless all the time, NSM something. I think I am just going to weld a coupler near the top in the BK so I can wire up a whirlpool fitting. Might do the same to the HLT and just plug it, so I could use it as a second BK if needed.

Thanks for the advice!

If that's the case, I would put a "return" in all three vessels.
I'd put one in both the HLT and BK, some where just below the 5 gallon point, so you can circulate 5ga batches and keep the return below the surface.
I'd put a return near the top of the MT so you can circulate and use a flexible hose to return to the top of the grain bed.
I'd also put a fitting (you have to decde what size), in each for a temp probe.
I'd also put a fitting (again you decide the size) in the HLT & BK for a site glass.
And obviously you need a couplng in each for your valves.
If you are going electric, you'll nead a coupling in the HLT & BK for the heat element.

In my vessels, I have the couplings welded in so I could have the vessels as close together as possible, so none in the sides.
If you think of a clock, and imagine the valve at 6:00, I put all of my couplings at either 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, 8:00, or 10:00.

Just reread that you are using a cooler for a MT, but the rest still applies.

Hope that helps,
Ed

Ed,
Thanks a lot.

For the Recirc, what if I add it at the top and when I install the recirc tube, bend it so it runs below the 5 gallon mark. That way I do not have to put a valve in it during the boil. I actually have a spare 3 piece valve, so I just I could just hook it up if you think having the recirc coupler below the water line is advised.
I also think I might install an IC in the BK, so I might just add the two more couplers for that. I was thinking about doing the valve and recirc at 6, siteglass/thermo at 8, IC input/output at 4

I am going to hold off on the electric fittings for now. Going to stick with propane for a while.

You're Welcome.

Sure you can put the return near the top, just wanted to point out that the output needs to be below the surface.

Not sure I would want a permanently mounted IC in my BK. I think it would make cleanup a bit harder. I have made and used IC's and just let them hang in the BK, that way its easier to pull em out and hose em down... also you can share it if you are brewing with a guest.

No prob with propane... just watch the holes in the skirt of the keg... they will vent a lot of heat. Try to keep your fittings away from them if possible.

Back