Carribean Mavi (or Mauby)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making myself a 1 gal batch of this right now. I am mainly going off of your recipe alhiem, but I subbed a few items.

First, I decided 20g of bark since the first recipe calls for 1 oz (28 g), but yours only calls for a few pieces. Second, I used 1/2 tsp dried Mediterranean oregano instead of marjoram, and 1/4 tsp of tarragon instead of star anise. I backed off on these two because I know oregano is much more pungent than marjoram, and for the star anise, I really dislike the licorice flavor, so I backed that off quite a bit.

I also used 260g of each of the brown and cane sugars to be more precise than the volumetric measurements. The liquid reads 16.4 Plato, which comes to 1.067 specific gravity. I'll add a teaspoon or two of US-05 yeast when it cools down enough, and see what happens.

Wow. It must have tasted awful.. I never make my mavi like that! As a matter of fact one does not even need to add anything just the mavi bark which one can buy on EBay. I do use one stick of cinnamon and a little ginger but I have done it without it and it comes out tasting great. That second recipe is not from Puerto Rico.. The first one is the one I do. Mavi needs full hot sun days. I place it out on my porch for 3 to 4 days in which it ferments. I make a hole on the bottle caps and as it ferments it foams and the foam is the bitterness of the bark. The finished product is sweet as honey.

Hi! I'm new here, but I have the answer that you seek to your query. LOL! It is sold in a little African supermarket back home near Philly. But I had the same question that you did; So, I did a little research, and only had to look on the package for the answer. Turns out that I graduated H.S. in the same area where this store is getting it from. Its distributed by Angel Brand Food Co.; visit: www.angelbrand.com, you'll be able to order all the Mauby you want. hope it turns out good. I am going to try to brew it as well, let me know how it turns out.

OMG! I can't believe all these complicated recipes. I had to stop reading. Here is my mom's recipe. An ingredient missing from previous is the hops. Flor de Cerveza. I know different regions make it different, but, there is no need for so many ingredients. I found the Mauby Bark on the web and Beer Hops too. Huge bag. Since I only need a pinch this will last me forever. I'm researching weather it needs to be in the sun for the warmth or if it can be made indoors kept at a constant 70 degrees or above. It's winter here in CO and I need to find the right warmer first.
I'm giving you all the scientific names so that you can properly google it and find it anywhere.

Mabí - (mom's recipe)

6 C Water
1 handful mabi bark (Colubrina elliptica)
1 pinch Flor de Cerveza (beer Hops-Humulus lupulus)

---Bring to a boil---

Simmer for 15 minutes

add:
1 gal cold water
2 C Piés (previously fermented mabí)
4 C Brown Sugar
4 C White Sugar

NOTE - DO NOT COVER WITH TIGHT LIDS! The fermentation will create a pressure cooker!
Use a cloth lid to cover. Either put in clean gallon jugs or glass bottles.

Place the bottles in a warm sunny place - and allow to ferment for 4 to 5 days. Then refrigerate and drink ice cold.

Yeah, pretty cool how they press the cane right there on the spot, but way too sweet IMHO.
Guarapo is basically drinking sugar. I'm from Puerto Rico. I'm looking for ways to create a hard mavi, similar to how some brewers do the hard root beer. What should be the adequate sugar/yeast ratio to obtain al least 4% ABV. Mavi is very low in alcohol, I want to get more alcohol without compromising the natural flavors of the drink. Any advice?

1 ounce of mavi tree bark
1/2 ounce of fresh ginger, sliced thin
1 stick whole cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of water
12 ½ cups of water
2 ½ cups of granulated sugar
2 ½ cups of dark brown sugar
2 cups of previously made mavi ***

Directions:
Place 1 and 1/2 cups of water in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the Mavi bark, ginger, whole cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, remove from heat and strain into a clean bowl. Discard the solids. Allow liquid to cool.

In a large bowl.. mix 12 1/2cups of water, granulated sugar, brown sugar and mix well, until the sugars are dissolved. Add the mavi liquid and the previosly prepared mavi and mix well. The mixture will begin to foam.

Pour the mavi into the gallon bottle and cap loosely, with cloth or the cap with a hole cut into it. Do not plug it too tightly. The fermentation will create pressure.

Place the bottle in direct sunlight for 5 to 8 days. If the sun isn’t out that much.. let it ferment for another 2 or 3 days.

NOTE: When previously prepared mavi is not available.. others have added a bit of active dry wine yeast after the maví has been prepared. I have never made this with the yeast, so if you do.. follow the directions that come with the wine yeast.
I'm from Puerto Rico. I'm looking for ways to create a hard mavi, maybe similar to how some brewers do the hard root beer. What should be the adequate sugar/yeast ratio to obtain al least 4% ABV. Mavi is very low in alcohol, I want to get more alcohol without compromising the natural flavors of the drink. Any advice or something to try? I was thinking of infusing beer with Mavi, but mavi has a lot of sugar and may ruin the brew. My best bet is to find a way to increase the Mavi ABV by using wine yeast. I think that the yeast will help to break the sugar producing more alcohol. Is this a good start?

Back