So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Herbal" Stout? Is that "code"? :rolleyes:
Lol no, just the quickest way to describe it; it's basically a gruit-inspired imperial oatmeal stout. It's quite the mix of things, and one of the few crazy recipes from my past that remains in semi-regular rotation since I like it quite a bit. Much more into KISS style recipes now.

YIKES! LOL!

I learned to "clean as you go" a long time ago. During any free time I dry and put it all away too.

What I meant was after the wort goes into the primary all I have left to clean is the brew pot, lid, paddle and very few odds and ends. Done. :rock:

Do no-chill brewing and ferment in your kettle. Boom, even easier.

(I should note that I have a hop basket and yank those at the end of boil)

It wasn’t this weekend but it’s close enough , I did a ten gallon batch and split into two fermenters
IMG_0032.JPG

If my yeast and aged hops get here on time I will try my hand at this Lambic recipe Sunday:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/lambic-bos-3rd-bos-and-two-golds.322168/

It will be a short brew day which I like (only DME and malto) and I love lambics so it is time to start an annual (at least) lambic batch.

for 5 gallons:
3lb Golden Light DME
3lb Wheat DME
4oz maltodextrin
2oz aged hops

Wyeast Lambic blend (3278)

Primary for normal 2-3 weeks and then into a glass carboy for probably a full year if I can be that patient. Maybe once summer comes back around I'll add cherry or raspberry or blackberry juice.

Going for a 90 Shilling Scottish Ale. Should be nice and dark and malty for the winter months. After a couple of 11 litre batches this is my first go at something bigger - 19 litres (4.2 gallons). Fingers crossed.

I have been wanting to brew a beer featuring Vienna as the base grain. I want to make a toasty, malty, Vienna Amber with layers of malt and layers of caramel as well, and I want to make it an ale and not a lager. So I have been working on this one for awhile and now I have the grains to brew it this Friday. Going to have German, Belgian, and English grains meet English yeast and English hops. Will not fit in a specific style and will be a hybrid or experimental beer. Just in time for Thanksgiving!

John

Got a window to brew next friday but I'm all out of ideas... Went through my old hops and got the following bag-ends in the freezer:

Mt.Hood 5AA 40g
Hallertau Mittelfruch 4.4AA 40g
East Kent Goldings 5.1AA 25g
Target 10.6AA 20g
Bramling Cross 5.2AA 30g
First Gold 6.8AA 25g
Tettnager 3AA 40g

Any ideas welcome, want to get rid of these as some of them are quite old. Need to order malts today so they make it here in time.

I don't see a response yet, so I'm going to chime in. Get some two row and pilsner (80/20 ratio) malt and use those Hallertau and tettnangers to do a warm fermented lager. Perfect time of the year for it, and those hops (at 60 bittering for the Hallertau and the 20-10 flavor/aroma range for 20g of the Tett) will bitter/flavor up a great lager. Just my two cents.

I'm going to do a small batch blonde ale but not sure if I want to add cherries or cranberries to it. Either way it will be brewed this weekend!

Do no-chill brewing and ferment in your kettle. Boom, even easier.

(I should note that I have a hop basket and yank those at the end of boil)

NOT HAPPENING. I have 7-8 primary buckets, about 20 carboys and 25 kegs, but only 1 boil pot.

I have 5 batches in primaries/secondaries right now.

I have a couple dozen 3-5 gallon pails that I use to hold my grain. I have the grains weighed out already for my next 5 batches.

Currently on hand:

8-10 kegs already tapped (in keezer and kegerator)
1 keg of Sweet Hard Lemonade (made in 2012)
1 case of bottled Hefe Weizen
1 beer in primary (in SOFC)
1 pear mead in carboy (4 years old now)
1 cider in carboy (since January)
1 cider in carboy (5 days old)
1 lemon-lime cider(?) in carboy
5 gallons of cider (chilling in the fridge)
over 300# of assorted grains
30+ assorted yeasts
19# assorted hops
75+ bottles of aging ciders and meads
blah, blah, blah....

I'm just glad my wife doesn't drink...:yes:

Last edited:
I just mashed-in a 4 gallon batch of porter. Was going to brew it yesterday but got busy taking care of family stuff. So instead I just got all the equipment out, measured and ground the grain, etc. Doing the prep the day before makes for an easier brew day; I should do that more often.

7.5 lbs American pale ale malt
6.5 oz Belgian C20
6.5 oz Black Patent
32 IBU's of Willamette hops
Bell's yeast

Edit: Just finished chilling the wort and filtering it thru a paint strainer bag. If I were using the kveik yeast I could pitch now, but it's still too warm for ordinary yeast -- so I sat the bucket outside. Shouldn't take too long to cool out there. Now I'm cleaning up, and then need to bottle a batch.

Last edited:
15 minutes into mashing a straightforward Irish stout, the first one I've brewed. That grain bill is a lot different from the pales and IPAs I've brewed so far!

Brewed up my fifth batch of the Treehouse Julius clone and the neighbor's chickens are very please about it :)
I could do this brew in my sleep at this point, hit all my numbers easily....

julius_20oct2018.jpg

Cheers!

Brewed a spiced Christmas ale today. Missed my target gravity, but 1.072 still isn't too shabby. Was my most organized brew day so far, and I went from unpacking everything to done and cleaned up in only 4.5 hours.

5C7533FC-1957-4907-BFA4-701E68AB99D4.jpeg Was shooting for 151° but I guess I’ll take it. Love brewing with the help of my four year old but was praying he didn’t give my thermometer a bath!

If I remember it was on sale for about $20-$30. It’s a ThermoWorks. Reads in 4-5 seconds and I really like it.

Just tucked in an Imperial IPA. Columbus for bittering along with a 30 minute addition. Simcoe at 5 minutes and EKG at flameout. I’ll dry hop with Centennial and the last of the Columbus. OG was 1.073. I was shooting for 1.075 so close enough for me. Wort was very fruity.

Brewed up a Holiday Red on Sunday using some new (to me) techniques. Probably one of my better brew days, too. The 60 degree morning temps also made it easier to stand outside with the kettle.

Back