Siphon Sprayer / Immersion Chiller ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
I'm rounding out my equipment to start doing all-grain mashes and full boils. In looking up equipment on the web, I have two generalized questions:

1. Does anyone use a siphon sprayer at the end of their siphon hose when transferring from kettle to primary? Do they work well, or even passably? Any major problems with them?

2. In shopping for immersion wort chillers, what advice would you give? Are there things to avoid (particularly in regards to the fittings)?

Immersion chillers are about as simple as you can get... They're all pretty much the same, give or take - pick a size, and the rest is just details. A 25'x3/8" is pretty standard for 5g batches. Then you have to decide if you want hose fittings directly on the chiller, or vinyl hoses so you can hook up to a sink faucet (with adapter). Lately, with copper prices, the stainless steel versions have actually become about equally affordable, so that's another option, though it probably comes down to personal preference as they'll have practically the same performance as the copper ones.

I'm rounding out my equipment to start doing all-grain mashes and full boils. In looking up equipment on the web, I have two generalized questions:

1. Does anyone use a siphon sprayer at the end of their siphon hose when transferring from kettle to primary? Do they work well, or even passably? Any major problems with them?

They're like $2, so it's not like you're out much if they don't. I don't use one, but I've seen them and read about them and they appear to work passably, and the cost isn't really a factor.

2. In shopping for immersion wort chillers, what advice would you give? Are there things to avoid (particularly in regards to the fittings)?

Having always used an immersion chiller, I would suggest not getting one and building yourself a counterflow chiller. After using one once, I was thoroughly impressed and now am on a mission to convert my IC to a CFC.

Latest posts

Back