Father's Day Gift Ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
I need 'em! My dad is just so hard to buy for. That, and he hates "useless dust-catchers." He either has pretty much everything he wants or just goes and gets it himself.

I love my dad and I want to express that, but man, I wish he'd take up brewing or something so I'd have a clue. And before you suggest it, my dad is a tee-totaler. :(

*sigh* I go through this every year.

So tell me what you're getting dear ol' dad and maybe I can steal your idea for mine! ;)

My dad is 86 and there is nothing he really needs or wants. We will have my mom and dad over for a barbecue on father's day. He wants to be with family more than anything and that's what I want too.
Sorry I'm no help but I think the most important thing is to be with your dad if you can and if you can't call and express how much you appreciate him and love him.
I's so tough to get gifts for someone like your father or mine. I wish I could be more help.

I got into homebrewing by buying my dad the supplies for his birthday last january, so this won't be difficult at all. I'm thinking a ported better bottle.

I'm going to call my dad since he lives out of state. I'm going to get my stepdad some brewing supplies since he homebrews too. What I want more than anything this year, that I won't get, is to have an entire afternoon with my kids to do whatever.

:(

When my family/in-laws ask what I want for Christmas, I tell them to just donate to a charity. I have more than enough stuff as it is, so help out someone who's less fortunate.

Maybe something like that? Is there some type of charity/organization that's near to his heart?

My Dad casually mentioned that he'd consider carrying a cell phone. So I'm going to buy him a cell phone with some minutes charged up on it so he can try it out and see if it's really his kinda thing.

my dad is the same way, extremely hard to buy for, altho my dad doesn't drink (homebrew is out), he doesn't like smoking (cigars are out), he's not really into anything and has only one hobby that I know of...

steam engines, toy steam engines and that **** is expensive!

i think i might just get him a cd, or gift card to home depot, if anything mom will like the gift card.

I hate people like that! I'm going to be that way when I'm older. I've already got a head start on collecting tools and things. On the other hand, I have TONS of hobbies and interests, so it sholdn't be that hard to shop for me. Problem is, people as, and I can't think of anything. Or I feel strange giving out ideas.

I'm not into decorative stuff much at all. I'm all about function. Get me a tool or at least something I can use. Or just get me a card and coem over for a BBQ. That's always nice. Food and drink!

I'm going to call my dad since he lives out of state. I'm going to get my stepdad some brewing supplies since he homebrews too. What I want more than anything this year, that I won't get, is to have an entire afternoon with my kids to do whatever.

:(

On a side note, I feel for you on this. My husband, in the four years I've known him has not gotten ONE phone call/card/visit or simple "Happy Father's Day" wish from any of his children. Not one.

And he has a good relationship with the older two! It is because their mother is such a raving *****-whore...she keeps them under surveillence on that day so they won't get a chance, and makes sure they focus on the guy she's shacked up with for the holiday. Just to hurt my husband. And hurt it does...

But they are 18, 15 and 13 and highly intelligent children...in my mind, the older two, at least, are old enough to do SOMETHING on their own. At what point do you hold them responsible for their part in this, versus blaming the idiot c*m-dumpster who gave birth to them? I have my opinion, and the evil stepmother in me might emerge if it happens AGAIN this year. It just might.

Anyway, some good ideas about gifting here. I like the charity one, especially...

my dad is the same way, extremely hard to buy for, altho my dad doesn't drink (homebrew is out), he doesn't like smoking (cigars are out), he's not really into anything and has only one hobby that I know of...

steam engines, toy steam engines and that **** is expensive!

i think i might just get him a cd, or gift card to home depot, if anything mom will like the gift card.

If he is into steam engines, shopping for CDs of shows related to the hobby is not a bad thing.

It's also notable that there are relatively inexpensive ways to augment his hobby if he's into something related to engineering or mechanics. Tools, tool makers and workbenches are expensive thigns that go along with those hobbies.

Look up Lee Valley. They are a good 'gift' place for tools. Stuff your dad woudl never buy for himself, but that he'd use.

Either a hammock or cash so he can get a tattoo, he really wants both.

Omaha Steaks! Works for almost every occasion. Particularly for the folks who don't want "things". It's a few clicks of the internet and gifts are taken care of for those hard to buy for people.

+1 on the hookers and blow. Everyone in my family is notoriously bad to shop for, and gift certificates work well for us. They especially do for me since I buy a lot of electronics and my parents hardly know anything about that.

Take him out to dinner.. somewhere he would like, not somewhere you like. Take the time during your dinner to tell him how much he means to you, and how happy you are that he is your father, as no one else would do. If he doesn't appreciate that as the best Father's day gift ever, then there is something wrong with him. It will be hard to top that next year, but make it a habit every 4-5 years, so he really knows how much you love him.

Or... The hookers and Blow are good second option ;)

Ha! Some of you guys tried to tell me how hard your dads are to shop for...but I think I've got you all beat in that category. There've been some excellent suggestions, but keep 'em coming.

Omaha Steaks...marvelous idea! But he hasn't eaten red meat in months due to his high cholesterol. (And he just sold off his own cows recently...after you do cattle farming for a few decades, the idea of purchasing high-cost steaks in order to have good quality is distasteful. He would just pooh-pooh my extravagant spending.)

Take him to dinner and tell him how much he means to me...my favorite suggestion, but he's 400 miles away and doesn't take well to the mushy stuff.

Lee Valley...they had some nice things, but nothing that really seemed suited to him.

hookers and blow...lifelong church-goin' tee-totaler. Married to my mom for over 40 years. Next.

C'mon, people! The clock is ticking!

How old is your dad? Surely there must be something he likes... Think about when you were young. What did he used to talk about doing someday?

I have memories of my father salivating over reviews of auto racing school when I was 5, 6, 7 years old and having no idea why he didn't go. The answer, of course, was money at the time. So my sister and I sent him for his 55th birthday. Of course, that was also his Xmas present. And fathers day. For the next two years. Maybe we got him a card for those occasions, but that was it. It was expensive. But it was a dream that I'm certain he'd given up on a very long time ago... and we brought it back.

Dad gives lots of presentations. We got him a green laser pointer one year. Why green? Because it's different than red. Everybody has red.

As for tools, you will not know what tool he wants/needs. You will have no clue because it is obscure and you've probably never heard of it. And your dad would never mention it anyway, because it would bore everybody if he had to explain it. But trust me, if he's a handy guy, there's a tool he's been pining for. I guarantee it.

But I really think you should rethink the hookers and blow.... ;)

Latest posts

Back