Why I started brewing again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
I stated in my intro post, I'm veteran brewer that's been out of the craft for 15 or 20 years.

Why I got back into it?

I really enjoyed it back then but got away from it when kids came along. Not sure why though, I probably should have kept up with it. Kids are older now but I have a 7yr old now who's nickname is "whoops" and he's more into this project than I am seemingly.

Anyway, I still drink beer and back then craft beers, micros were few and far between. They're everywhere now and that's what irks me a little. It seems that micros and brew pubs equate quality with over-hopping. Can't tell you how many beers I've tried that were so far out of the style that they claim to be. I'm not a snob, don't get me wrong but if I order a pale ale, I want a pale ale - not battery acid which is what I wind up getting more often than not.

If I want hoppy, I get the IPA and I don't know anyone who brews a true pils.

You're going to get a certain portion of people who know styles that buy what they like, but for the most part those establishments are selling "different" stuff to people who just want "different stuff" and are willing to pay for it.

That's my story, comments welcomed.

I'm with ya, Chuck! I'm tired of paying $9 a 4 pack only to be disappointed. There are so few craft brewers who make a balanced brew. And, the wife was complaining about the high cost of keeping decent beer for the kegerator. So after a 7 year hiatus, I'm back to brewing my own too.

I guess that's my story as well. I wanted to bring back some old styles,or at least brew some classics with my interpretation of them. I like a good balance between hops & malt,with a sort of English quality to the malt flavors.

there are good examples of every style from breweries out there, you just have to find them. But I agree with you, lots of breweries are trying to make the biggest, hoppiest beer possible, but after you sift through the crap you should be able to find good, balanced beers.

But that is the fun of making it yourself, you get to satisfy your taste preferences and end up brewing to exactly how you "like" your beers. Have fun, and welcome back

Your story sounds like mine - but I got back into home brewing because I love craft beer, I became unemployed and could not afford it any more (and refuse to drink cheap mass produced beers). Got a cheap igloo all grain setup and am currently finishing off an apricot kolsh and have an AIPA aging in the keg.

Brew what you like - and my batches cost less than $20 for 5 gallons, the best of both worlds.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Latest posts

Back