Wheat Beer Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew my first AG wheat beer tomorrow. I'm trying for a hefeweizen but I didn't lay my hands on german pils or wheat malts so I'm going for close.

This will be a 3 gallon batch. The recipe I plan to use is:

3.75# White Wheat Malt (Rahr)
3# Pilsner Malt
0.5 oz Hallertauer (60 minutes in boil)
WLP380 Hefeweizen IV yeast

Targeting 1.050 OG

I'm trying to decide the best mash schedule for this recipe. I want to at least do a single decoction. The water here is very very soft.

6ppm Ca, 7ppm Na, < 1ppm Mg, 3ppm SO4, 4ppm Cl, 12ppm HCO3, 6.2ph

I want to infuse to 122 degF protien rest but should I do an acid rest first? Maybe infuse to the acid rest with a thick mash then infuse again stepping up to the protien rest. From there I figured I'd pull my decotion, take it up to around 150 degF, rest and then boil to bring the total mash up to 150 degF.

I want to make sure I have everything I need for the yeasties to do their thing when all is said and done. Would an acid rest get me anything? Do I need to do 2 decoctions with the last one aimed at raising the mash temp to 168 degF?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My first AG batches have been single infusions to this point.

I've made some nice wheat beers with a single infusion mash. But since you want to do at least a single decoction, then do a 15 minute protein rest and proceed from there. From what I have read, keep the protein rest at 15 minutes - no longer than that. Or you could do a rest at 142 for 30 minutes then another rest at 158 for 30 minutes.

My first decoction didn't turn out that great...hopefully yours will. Kaiser's website has a lot of useful info - Braukaiser.com

Back