Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome day today! Got about10 brown trout averaging 9-12", but managed to get a 21"+ one. On the way home I also visited a 400+ plant hop farm and got to talk to the guys too. Tried attaching pictures but the app keeps crashing.

ForumRunner_20130713_204046.jpg

ForumRunner_20130713_204115.jpg

ForumRunner_20130713_204149.jpg

ForumRunner_20130713_204323.jpg

I snatched an 18" brown trout in Colorado a few weeks ago. No photos yet.

I'm so jealous. I'm on a major fishless streak this year. I'm 0 for 5 on my trips. Then again with all the flooding where I am (southern alberta, Canada) most of the trout streams and rivers are washed out still.

fishing down on the Russian River (feeds into the Kenai River, Alaska)

this young grizz ended up coming to about 5 yards from me... had one hand on a .44 and the other on the clip of the couple of fish (sockeyes) that were attached to me :-o

Worst thing I have to deal with here is cotton mouth. I normally just use my pellet gun for those.

morticus said:
Took my youngest son up to the lake and got him hooked on fishing! Granted they are just stockers, but it's a sure fire way to have fun with the kids. Plus they fry up nice.

Awesome. He'll never forget that day. He is truly blessed to have that and many more of those days!

hatedheretic said:
fishing down on the Russian River (feeds into the Kenai River, Alaska)

this young grizz ended up coming to about 5 yards from me... had one hand on a .44 and the other on the clip of the couple of fish (sockeyes) that were attached to me :-o

I had a scarily similar experience on the Naknek. We caught a ton of sockeye and were just throwing them up on the bank... As we left we saw two big browns walking in. There was a boat at our lodge coming to that spot as we were leaving. We gave them the heads up on the bears moving in... and they got to watch the bears chase/eat all the fish we were working. They got great pics. We were lucky. Had we stuck around five minutes more there would have been a confrontation. This was not a place where bears are used to being around people....

A buddy of mine invited me over to enjoy some nice rainbows he was grilling up for lunch yesterday. About 3lbs each. Basted with a buttery/lemony/vinegary type of sauce. Some rice & 3 bean salad on the side, washed it all down with several Moose Drools...
It was a good day. :)
Regards, GF.

Great pictures and stories! :ban:

It just so happened that after our fishing day, we noticed that the grass wasn't mowed by the gate and the owner always wants the road cleared. It turns out the guy he hired to be the caretaker got another job and hadn't time and was trying to get to it. I happen to know his mother and she told him that Bob would do it. He was relieved, and happy to have us do it. The owner is still in the Netherlands, but via email Bob told him what had happened. He was very pleased that we were willing to mow the grass and cut a few trees that fall on his private road. So, we got the keys for the outbuildings and the gate, and now Bob has a caretaker job.

He's pretty happy, because it's about 20 miles from our cottage, and he can now go whenever he wants. He keeps the private road clear, cuts a little grass, and just keeps an eye on the place. We've stayed overnight before, camping or in one of the outbuildings, so that's always fun too.

Awesome day today! Got about10 brown trout averaging 9-12", but managed to get a 21"+ one. On the way home I also visited a 400+ plant hop farm and got to talk to the guys too. Tried attaching pictures but the app keeps crashing.

Hmmm...maybe hops infused trout for dinner?

I bet most of us remember our first fishing trip. It's like mother nature, cycle of life, family, independence, many first's for a child, all rolled up in a fishing trip. The kids know it's fun, but I think it's the seed for find our selves? I'm getting to Zen for a fishing tread, sorry.

I had a scarily similar experience on the Naknek. We caught a ton of sockeye and were just throwing them up on the bank... As we left we saw two big browns walking in. There was a boat at our lodge coming to that spot as we were leaving. We gave them the heads up on the bears moving in... and they got to watch the bears chase/eat all the fish we were working. They got great pics. We were lucky. Had we stuck around five minutes more there would have been a confrontation. This was not a place where bears are used to being around people....

word, down on the Kenai we only have an issue every once in a while, and it's usually a sow with a cub or more that goes after someone that didn't see them on a blind corner.. just a high number of people and a good few bears all over, but that's just part of the experience living here :cross:

Fishing and beer....a classic combination.

I do most of my fishing in salt water. A few pics attached.

"Hogfish" (the reddish fish in one of the pics) is one of the most delicious fish on the planet...of course the King Mac and Grouper shown in the other pics ain't bad either!

I absolutely LOVE fried hoggers... Those fish are so STUPID too when you spear em! One of the easiest fish to shoot down there.

Here is a average puddin head I shot in 100ft of water out of Panama City Beach... We were over some swiss cheese bottom, that place is full of red snapper!!

decent puddin head.jpg

I absolutely LOVE fried hoggers... Those fish are so STUPID too when you spear em! One of the easiest fish to shoot down there.

Here is a average puddin head I shot in 100ft of water out of Panama City Beach... We were over some swiss cheese bottom, that place is full of red snapper!!

Now you have me missing my days in the panhandle. And hogfish is one of the best things ever put on a dinner plate. Think I had it for 75% of my meals in the keys last year

I used to do a lot of diving and spear fishing along the N FL coast (including PC) and and Alabama Gulf Coast too. Lots of Red Snapper, Greater Amberjack, Flounder,... lots of bugs too: both Spiny's and Shovel Nose (Slipper Lobster)...and Stone Crabs (yumm!).

Now you have me missing my days in the panhandle. And hogfish is one of the best things ever put on a dinner plate. Think I had it for 75% of my meals in the keys last year

I've had charter guests come aboard saying they don't like seafood (usually because they've never had real, fresh seafood....no wonder...who likes old smelly fish). We often have freshly speared hogfish on the menu and in one taste they usually do a 180 and eat seafood for the rest of the trip.

Couple pictures from my last off shore trip off the Outer Banks.

A beautiful Mahi in blue water
DSC_0009.jpg

Sushi!
DSC_0090.jpg

This dolphin was hooked up, but still made a run at the teaser as it bobbed just on the surface

DSC_0008.jpg

I've had charter guests come aboard saying they don't like seafood (usually because they've never had real, fresh seafood....no wonder...who likes old smelly fish). We often have freshly speared hogfish on the menu and in one taste they usually do a 180 and eat seafood for the rest of the trip.

Yep it makes a big difference. I rarely eat seafood here in Denver. A lot of people around here have asked me if I dont like seafood. Nope love it, to the point of not eating it if it is questionable

Love some of the fish camps around ocrecoke island, NC. Catch a mess of fish and let them fry it up for you. Best mahi ever.

Only fishing I get to do these days are around the public docs on the St. John's river, which in this area is brackish water. Last morning of fishing I did, there was a mother and calf manatee right off the rain shelter on the dock where I like to fish and they just disrupt all the fish in the area. I only caught one small red drum. Usually, we can get some sea trout, good sized drum and sheepshead this time of year.

i'm going down to the Kenai for some dipnetting on Wed-whenever... i'm allowed 55 red salmon :-o think about fileting/steaking that many fish out...

hatedheretic said:
i'm going down to the Kenai for some dipnetting on Wed-whenever... i'm allowed 55 red salmon :-o think about fileting/steaking that many fish out...

Hopefully no brood stock in that harvest

hoping my freezer will be good packed; then just gotta go get a moose and i'll be set for the year...

hoping my freezer will be good packed; then just gotta go get a moose and i'll be set for the year...

92,000 through on the 15th. That's 243,000 compared to 228,000 same time last year. We got ours last week and a buddy is sharing some of his Copper River Reds because his wife just announced she don't want that much salmon.

HoppyDaze said:
Fishing has been incredible at buoy 10 this year. Even better a bit upstream. Nice work. Send me the eggs :)

I haven't even been down to buoy 10 this year. We caught these right in front of PDX. So far we have put 10 fish in the boat right there. Taking the boat down to Coos Bay this week, for some salmon and tuna action.

morticus said:
I haven't even been down to buoy 10 this year. We caught these right in front of PDX. So far we have put 10 fish in the boat right there. Taking the boat down to Coos Bay this week, for some salmon and tuna action.

Spinners? Herring? Wobblers?

Looks like I need to get the boat out

We use Kwik Fish or Spin N Glows until the tide starts moving out faster then switch to wobblers.

I need to get my drift boat out...

[ame="http://youtu.be/T73bReg4VXE"]http://youtu.be/T73bReg4VXE[/ame]

I fish quite a bit here, both winter icefishing and from my (rather tiny) boat in summer.
My boat is about 500 meters from our house and I have to go past the castle to get to "open" water.
Savonlinna is technically an island in the biggest lake in finland, so we have a lot of water around.
Yoopers picture looked like it could have been taken here, i guess now we know why all the fins moved there ;)

boat.jpg

castle.jpg

lake.jpg

snoek.jpg

My brother in law is in town visiting so I took him out into the ocean to see what we could find. We ended up catching 2 small sharks and lost a nice spinner shark after a giant jump out of the water. We had tons of fun. I caught a 6 foot 100 pound tarpon in the same area a few weeks ago. It was by far the largest fish I ever caught. I'm used to fishing for bass and laketrout in Ny. Hopefully we will get out again in a couple of days.

Yoopers picture looked like it could have been taken here, i guess now we know why all the fins moved there ;)

Yah, except for the castle, it looks just like it. :D

It's still cold here, even though walleye season opened yesterday. The bluegills and perch are biting, though. We starting catching them in early May. And we'll go out and look for crappies later this week.

I love living in the UP, at least spring through fall! (By the way, the black flies are now ferocious, so this pictures were about 14 days ago!)
P5020186.jpg

P5020178.jpg

P5020185.jpg

P5020195.jpg

P5020184.jpg

Set to go fishing next month in Colorado. Rainbow and Brown Trout.

Latest posts

Back