how long to leave bottling after fermination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie1980

Reaction score
hi newbie here this is my first brew......
ive been reading mixed veiws on how long to leave it until u bottle, so after fermination has taken place is it best to let sit in bucket for a around a week or is it best to bottle straight away, i read somewhere if u leave.. the yeast eats some of the bad flavour (or something like that) thanks

I would definitely leave it on the yeast cake for at least week after it's done. Even though I usually reach final gravity in 7-10 days, I generally give my brews 3 weeks in primary before I touch them (wheat beers I'll give a little less, or if I'm going to secondary I'll give a little less). Leaving it on the yeast cake lets the yeast clean up its own fermentation byproducts.

leave it in the fermenter for roughly 2 weeks, then bottle. Leave the bottles at room temp for 2 weeks, the put them in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Thats a good place to start. Dont worry about the technicalities just yet... its your first brew.

thezepster said:
leave it in the fermenter for roughly 2 weeks, then bottle. Leave the bottles at room temp for 2 weeks, the put them in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Thats a good place to start. Dont worry about the technicalities just yet... its your first brew.

Add a week to both of those, especially the bottles. By 2 weeks, all of the bottles will probably be "fizzy", and some may be properly carbed, but probably not all of them. Proper carbonation is more than just generating CO2, the gas also has to fully absorb back into solution, plus other good stuff takes place in the bottle.

I find after 10-15 days, all the bottles fizz, but some have little to no head retention and taste thin and watery. So if you've just gotta have a taste it will be alright, but they aren't really "done" yet.

thank you for your replys, i shall leave for at least 2 weeks then will bottle, i have ordered some coopers carbonation drops to try a few bottles with, the rest i will add sugar to each bottle cant wait.. ty again...

The cooper's carb drops work really well,& are pre-measured. Just give the bottles three weeks before trying them to age & carb. They need to age too,not just carbonate. 4-5 weeks & they're even better.

The cooper's carb drops work really well,& are pre-measured. Just give the bottles three weeks before trying them to age & carb. They need to age too,not just carbonate. 4-5 weeks & they're even better.

ok ty for reply all this info is very helpfull

Back