The official I Love Bacon thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While grocery shopping the other day I picked up a tube of ready-to-cook cinnamon rolls and thought hey, I wonder how these would taste with bacon. As I read the back of the package I was reminded that the rolls are actually un-rolled when you remove them.
I unrolled the first pastry and the length of the dough reminded me of something. Could it be? Yes indeed. Serendipity. The unrolled pastry was nearly identical in size to a strip of bacon. This was going to be interesting.
After assembling all the bacon cinnamon rolls I popped them in the pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. I then pulled the rolls out of the oven and drizzled the icing upon them as directed.
Right from the first bite I knew we had a winner. The Smaste™ rating alone was a jaw-dropping 51.93. The entire house was filled with sugary, cinnamony, bacony aroma. The taste was both sweet and salty, a perfect combination for a morning pick-me-up meal. Highly recommended for any bacon lover!

00-bacon-cinnamon-roll.jpg

Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too, love bacon. Here is me eating some Bacon Explosion (Bacon, stuffed with sausage, stuffed with more bacon, and then grilled):

Question, how do you stuff bacon? That's gotta be some freakishly thick sliced bacon if you can stuff it with sausage.

Got me some bacon, smoked sausage and butterflied pork chops....

I plan to fry this up, maybe bake it, with the smoke sausage and quickly pan sear the chops.

Then I will slice up about 6-8 potatoes and 1-2 onions. Then layer them on the bottom of a crock pot with the "residual" pork-greases. Then season with salt & pepper, Lawry's, little of House of Hunan Mongolian Fire Oil. (Think szechuan oil)

Then I will layer the chops, sausage and bacon on top of the potato-onion and let the crock do its thing.

Getting hungry just thinking about it....

i ate an entire package of thick cut bacon while camping last weekend
(just for breakfest one day)
meatatarian
yum :)

edit*
the bacon on her breast was only the first half of the package......

I grew up eating bacon sandwiches for breakfast on the weekends. Not BLT's... just bread and bacon. Man, wish I could do that now...

Question, how do you stuff bacon? That's gotta be some freakishly thick sliced bacon if you can stuff it with sausage.

Psh. Ask and ye shall receive...pictures courtesy of Wop31 who was generous enough to make bacon explosions for Ohiobrewtus' beerfest:

Bacon weave with rub:
user36_pic1557_1246660122.jpg

Stuffed with ground sausage and more bacon:

user36_pic1556_1246660101.jpg

Rolled:
user36_pic1554_1246660101.jpg

Grilled:
user36_pic1751_1252210400.jpg

Psh. Ask and ye shall receive...pictures courtesy of Wop31 who was generous enough to make bacon explosions for Ohiobrewtus' beerfest:

Many Questions....

Bacon weave with rub:

Brand or Type???

Stuffed with ground sausage and more bacon:

Mo' Details; pork saw-sage? what kind?

Rolled:

Nice!!! :rockin:

Grilled:

How bad is the Fire-fighting

gun1.jpg

BA K-47

for the freakin win

I knew it was only a matter of time before bacon was weaponized... we knew it could kill, just not in this way :p

My triple pork trio is now in the crock pot!!! Bacon, Smoked Sausage, & Brazed Chops. The bottom of the pot has about 6-8 potatos and 2 sliced onions laying on top of the leftover bacon grease. All the meat is sitting on the onion & taters.

My triple pork trio is now in the crock pot!!! Bacon, Smoked Sausage, & Brazed Chops. The bottom of the pot has about 6-8 potatos and 2 sliced onions laying on top of the leftover bacon grease. All the meat is sitting on the onion & taters.

When will it be ready?

Can't afford airfare.

i'm drivin'. Reeeeally fast...

What happened to yah? I started eating w/o you. :D

Boy, oh boy, is this stuff awesome. The hot szechuan hot oil soaked in well on the taters. Its got some slow but moderate hotness, not too much though. The bacon is awesome!! I used extra thick smoked bacon too. I need to get out one of the chops.

OMG - The chops are marvelous, super tender! Here's pics....

From the crockpot:

Triple_Pork_Trio_001.jpg

Top views w/ NB Hoptober off to the right!

Triple_Pork_Trio_003.jpg

Triple_Pork_Trio_004.jpg

the weave is the most awesome thing i have ever seen. im going to wrap a pork loin or a beef filet in a weave and eat it all to myself.

OK I didn't want to get into this due to the controversy over oven vs stove-cooked bacon, but the real trick is to just use a baking sheet. Line the sheet with foil, layer the entire package of bacon onto the sheet, and stick it in the oven until done.

And bake it with brown sugar on it. :mug:

This kid is the next Baconjesus!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_obaO46Bo&feature=player_embedded#

This is a short video from the television show Wife Swap featuring a health-conscious surrogate mother who is throwing away all the junk food in a family's kitchen when young Sir Eat A Lot makes a stand when he sees the bacon making its exit. A BACON STAND.

:mug:

Haha. That is awesome! Absolutely awesome! Man.... I am going to watch that a few more times now...

Woot Woot Woot!!!!!! A recipe for Candied Bacon Ice cream!!!!!

I'll just paste in the entire article I found on the Geekologie Blog (where he is a baconista like us)....it's so worthy!!!

2312582853_5c9ce3d20c_o.jpg

Who doesn't like bacon and eggs?

Ok, maybe vegans. And folks who are kosher. And people who don't eat eggs. Or those who don't like bacon. But I'm not sure that's possible. (I have a great bacon joke, but it's not 'pc', so I'd better keep it to myself.)

I'm a big fan of both bacon and the beautiful, bright-orange yolked eggs we get in France, so why confine them to breakfast? I was pretty sure Candied Bacon Ice Cream would work. I mean, it's got salt. It's got smoke. So why not candy it? Inspired by Michael Ruhlman, l wanted to see what would happened when they all got together.

2313392442_9af4a81f80_o.jpg

Candying the bacon was a hoot. Being in an experimental mood, I tried everything from agave nectar to maple syrup to dark raw cassonade sugar.

I lined up five strips and baked them off.

2313391904_ef206c2802_o.jpg

Surprisingly, the best results I had was using regular light brown sugar. The agave nectar I painted on, as well as the maple syrup—which I had impossibly-hopeful hopes for—just slid right off. I suppose I could've reduced maple syrup to a thick glaze before brushing it on, but I'm down to the last quarter of the bottle I brought back from the Greenmarket in New York.

And as much as I love you all, I don't love you more than maple syrup.

2313392174_d41a562e54_o.jpg

Still, for flavor and crisp-itude, the light brown sugar won hands-down and baked to a firm, shiny-sweet glaze. Of course, individual ovens vary and although I asked my charcutier to cut my bacon on the moderately-thick side (around ¼-inch or ½ centimeter)—if yours is thinner or thicker, keep an eye on it in the oven. American bacon tends to throw off lots of fat, so you might want to bake it on a rack.

(Someone came over to write a story about my kitchen last week and was a bit surprised I didn't have a microwave. Unfortunately it came down to a space-issue an the monster espresso machine won out. So I candied my bacon the old-fashioned way.)

As I was scooping the ice cream out of the machine and tossing in the bits of candied bacon, getting ready to lick the spatula (hey, pipe down...no one was looking...) I had a last-minute thought that dusting of ground cinnamon would be nice, so I added it. I tend to be pretty restrained when using cinnamon around here since if I offer a taste of something with more than a very light dusting of it to French friends, they have a hard time getting past the cinnamon and I can't get an accurate evaluation from them.

They do like cinnamon, just not in the vast quantities we American like to shovel in. So I wanted it to be subtle and not off-putting, but present. Aren't I good at pleasing everyone? Très 'pc'.

My final test was when I brought a small container of this to my butcher to see what he thought. I didn't tell him what it was and he took a bite. I waited. He tasted. The priceless look on his face!

Then I breathed a sigh of relief when he polished it off and gave it the thumbs up.

But then again, he's a little biased.

2312582295_859d787821_o.jpg

Bacon Ice Cream
About ¾ qt (¾l)

Like my butcher, I loved the salty taste of bacon with brown sugar, but I'm also going to be folding bits of candy bacon into Coffee Ice Cream in the future. Or maybe get really crazy and try little bits in a batch of Avocado Ice Cream.

If you don't have half-and-half, simply mix together heavy cream and whole milk in equal proportions. I'm not sure about dairy alternatives, but since this doesn't fall into the vegan category, I think this time I'm off the hook. ; )

For the candied bacon;
5 strips bacon
about 2 tablespoons light brown sugar

For the ice cream custard:
3 tablespoons (45g) salted butter
¾ cup (packed) brown sugar (170g), light or dark (you can use either)
2¾ (675ml) cup half-and-half
5 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons dark rum or whiskey
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
optional: ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. To candy the bacon, preheat the oven to 400F (200C).

2. Lay the strips of bacon on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or aluminum foil, shiny side down.

3. Sprinkle 1½-2 teaspoons of brown sugar evenly over each strip of bacon, depending on length.

4. Bake for 12-16 minutes. Midway during baking, flip the bacon strips over and drag them through the dark, syrupy liquid that's collected on the baking sheet. Continue to bake until as dark as mahogany. Remove from oven and cool the strips on a wire rack.

5. Once crisp and cool, chop into little pieces, about the size of grains of rice.

(Bacon bits can be stored in an airtight container and chilled for a day or so, or stored in the freezer a few weeks ahead.)

6. To make the ice cream custard, melt the butter in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and half of the half-and-half. Pour the remaining half-and-half into a bowl set in an ice bath and set a mesh strainer over the top.

7. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm brown sugar mixture to them, whisking the yolks constantly as you pour. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.

8. Cook over low to moderate heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.

9. Strain the custard into the half-and-half, stirring over the ice bath, until cool. Add liquor, vanilla and cinnamon, if using.

10. Refrigerate the mixture. Once thoroughly chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the bacon bits during the last moment of churning, or stir them in when you remove the ice cream from the machine.

Looks like I'll be breaking out the ole ice-cream machine.:ban::ban::ban:

Revs, you should either make a batch and send me some of forward that recipe to Ben and Jerry.

I gotsta hav it!!

Bacon weave with rub:
user36_pic1557_1246660122.jpg

What kind of rub is that? Is that hand-made, or store-bought? I've just been grinding fresh pepper on my bacon, but I'd be interested in trying something like that....

Revs, you should either make a batch and send me some of forward that recipe to Ben and Jerry.

I gotsta hav it!!

It's not my recipe, though I am surprised that neither Ben nor Jerry have come up with a candied bacon icecream.

I was thinking about swapping out the half and half in the recipe for egg nog though. Then it would be BACON and EGG nog icecream....

What could be better than that?

There has to be a bacon beer recipe out there! I saw that wheat beer in an earlier post but I don't think it's bacon flavored. I'm telling you a Bacon and Coffee Breakfast Stout would be delicious in the mornings!!

Latest posts

Back