My first beer is DRINKABLE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C38368

Reaction score
Actually, I think someone even went so far as to call it "good." And I think that's even better than drinkable, so I'm feeling rather chuffed about that.

Pretty cloudy, what with not being filtered, or even given time in secondary, but hey, that's OK by me. Because it's got alcohol in it and it tastes like malt and hops.

Not a very distinguished taste of malt and hops, but both are present. I like to think of it as a mid-century British session beer.

Next up, I think I'm gonna clone Widmer Brothers' Pitch Black IPA. Because they gave me hops, and that was pretty neat of them.

Actually, I think someone even went so far as to call it "good." And I think that's even better than drinkable, so I'm feeling rather chuffed about that.

Pretty cloudy, what with not being filtered, or even given time in secondary, but hey, that's OK by me. Because it's got alcohol in it and it tastes like malt and hops.

Not a very distinguished taste of malt and hops, but both are present. I like to think of it as a mid-century British session beer.

Next up, I think I'm gonna clone Widmer Brothers' Pitch Black IPA. Because they gave me hops, and that was pretty neat of them.

Congrats!!!! :rockin: Add whirfloc to clear your brews. I don't filter and my brews come out pretty clean.

My first brew wasn't long ago but I'll never forget the first comment I received which, not by chance, came from my beautiful bride, "It tastes just like beer."

Congrats and welcome!

Thanks all :)

Congrats!!!! :rockin: Add whirfloc to clear your brews. I don't filter and my brews come out pretty clean.
I did drop a Whirlfloc in, as one was provided to me. I don't know how much cloudier it would've been without it. The end result was far from objectionably cloudy, just noticeable. Plenty of yeasties hanging out in the bottles, though! Probably two or three times what you might expect to find in a commercial beer. Doesn't really come through in the flavor, though. (And that's good, since even with my attempts to decant most of them came out with the beer, anyway!) Either way, I'm not in any great rush to get a filter.

congrats, buddy. my firstborn was a labatt's blue clone. i'm still brewing years later even though that almost did me in :D

I'm with Krazykripple, my first two were garbage!!!! BUT, all since have been fantastic!!
Cheers!

I've lurked on here for a while, posted a few things and learned a lot. I hope my first real brew comes out tasting in the general range of "decent to good" but I won't find out for a few more weeks. Congrats and keep it up, you give me hope my beer will be good first try.

Congrats! my first was also " drinkable... If cold enough" what I found out eventually though was that I was drinking it far too soon. So I would say hold on another couple of weeks and try some then, I know patience stinks, but it might go from "drinkable" to "wow, that's down right tasty!" does wonders for self esteem going into the second batch.

Congrats! As long as beer has alcohol in it and it's not deadly it's drinkable! I'm sure you did a great job and if you are anything like me(I'm highly critical of my brews, like my cooking) I find all the flaws in my brews before anyone else. Keep at it, it only gets better!

Start your second, third, and perhaps 4th batch as soon as possible because having beer available will help you with leaving the beer in the fermenter longer which will get you clearer beer. You don't need to filter to get your beer clear, you need time.

I do 4 weeks primary, 4 weeks bottle conditioning and always have a tight little cake that does not come out in the glass, even when I upend the bottle.

Awesome! I will be tasting mine in a week or so. What did you make?
The kit was called "light ale." Real descriptive, huh? It turned out looking like an amber ale.

My girlfriend was sick over the weekend, so I didn't drink any. So now it's coming up on three weeks in the bottle, and the profile has changed a lot. Malt is much more prominent now, and hops have recessed markedly. They're still there, but much less pronounced than before. In my opinion, I've created an amber ale :)

Congrats! my first was also " drinkable... If cold enough" what I found out eventually though was that I was drinking it far too soon. So I would say hold on another couple of weeks and try some then, I know patience stinks, but it might go from "drinkable" to "wow, that's down right tasty!" does wonders for self esteem going into the second batch.
That's the general plan. But as this is my first batch, I've been trying to drink a bottle or so every week starting at week two, just to see how it matures. You know, like a hands-on learning experience. With alcohol!

Start your second, third, and perhaps 4th batch as soon as possible because having beer available will help you with leaving the beer in the fermenter longer which will get you clearer beer. You don't need to filter to get your beer clear, you need time.
That's also the plan. I'm coming up on finals in just over a week, so time is real tight. I'm hoping to brew up another batch on Monday or Wednesday of next week, however! And I'm hoping to let that one ferment and/or age until June, at least. Slowly, slowly working on building the pipeline...

Congrats on the drinkable beer!
My first I called drinkable but not all that enjoyable. I still have a couple sixers and a few bombers of it. I drink it cause like you said, it has alcohol, malt and hops and that's good enough for me outta the first brew! Now get that pipeline going!! :tank:

Back