Apfelwein Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecruitNBrew

Reaction score
I have a batch in the Fermenter that was started on 7/20/09.
Due to impatience, I decided to draw a sample with my wine thief to see how it was tasting (not too bad by the way).

It's been a few days and now I'm worried that I've oxidized the batch and should bottle immediately.

Is it still ok to continue aging in the fermenter?
Or should I bottle immediately?

As long as you didn't disturb the co2 blanket, you should be fine. A stirring motion, agitation, or a gentle breeze from a fan or something similar may disturb the co2 blanket, but if it isn't completely finished fermenting the co2 blanket will be replenished. I wouldn't even worry about it unless you were doing something you weren't supposed to! I would bottle it on the 20th for a 3 month primary, and condition it for 6 months to a year.

As long as you didn't disturb the co2 blanket, you should be fine. A stirring motion, agitation, or a gentle breeze from a fan or something similar may disturb the co2 blanket, but if it isn't completely finished fermenting the co2 blanket will be replenished. I wouldn't even worry about it unless you were doing something you weren't supposed to! I would bottle it on the 20th for a 3 month primary, and condition it for 6 months to a year.

All I did was pulled a sample with the thief. No sloshing or stirring. Sounds like it should be ok. It's in a glass carboy, so there's probably enough co2 left.

Thanks for the info!

Back