Racking a Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspera

Reaction score
I recently made an all-grain classically styled lambic using a Wyeast lambic blend (slightly out of date), another brett strain, a cultured belgian yeast, and a few drops of kombucha/red wine co-culture. The beer is 5 gallons in 6.5 gallon glass carboy with an unfilled airlock. The fermentation is proceeding vigorously and I'm wondering how long I should wait before racking (fermentation is cool, O.G. about 1.055). I'm thinking to treat it as I would any other wheat beer and rack after about 7 to 12 days.

I would wait quite a while... with the brett in there its probably going to approach 1.000 FG. Let it churn until its good and ready..

Traditional lambics aren't racked at all: they just sit on the yeast cake for a couple of years. This is one of the main differentiating factors between a lambic (which sits on the yeast) and a Flanders red (which is racked to secondary).

The benefit of leaving it on the cake is that the dead yeast will eventually be eaten by the brett, giving it more food and thus more flavor contribution to the final beer. Racking will reduce the amount of funkiness since there'll be less food for the brett.

Traditional lambics aren't racked at all: they just sit on the yeast cake for a couple of years.

I was aware of this, but had concerns because I skipped a traditional step: I didn't allow it to settle/slow cool for an extended time before pitching my blend. Incidentally, I may not get the full benefit of the wyeast blend as it was so old. My starter had a brett character but no discernable enteric aroma or sour flavor. Maybe I should try again.

Back