BrewHaus floor plan - ideas wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Ok, here's a rough idea of what I have to work with in the BrewHaus. The bottom third (before the cold room) is taken. The German Eckbank will occupy the bottom left corner and will seat 6 comfortably. The taps will come out of the lower wall of the cold room and face the Eckbank. On the right wall, just past the door (which I failed to add as my drawing skills suck) will be a restored Vitrine Schrank from Germany to hold beer glasses and such. It is 5' long and 18" deep. Above it, mounted on the wall will be a flat screen TV hooked up to Dish Network.

BrewHausFloorPlan.jpg

I'm thinking the brewing will be done in the upper right corner. I have an electric HLT, so my brew rig will be a Blichmann 15 gallon MLT and a 20 gallon boil kettle. I'll have to build an exhaust hood over the MLT & BK.

I'll be fermenting in a conical placed in a upright freezer like John Beere has. Those units are 28" W and 29" D. I'm thinking they will fit on the left wall above the cold room.

I still want room for a plastic laundry sink (or deep stainless if I can find one), counter space and storage space for grain & supplies.

I figure the back wall will be entirely made of white pegboard.

Any ideas for placment of items or item forgotten? Think of the upper two thirds of this as a blank canvas. All input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Would a pool table fit? Not sure if it would be pratical though because it would take up so much space. A nice dart board would be pretty cool though. Don't forget the music!

I want my own BrewHaus!

Would a pool table fit? Not sure if it would be pratical though because it would take up so much space. A nice dart board would be pretty cool though. Don't forget the music!

A dart board on the left wall below the cold room would work. Thanks. No room for the pool table.

The upper two thirds will be dedicated to brewing & fermenting.

It's a long way for me to come visit....I don't need a dedicated spot....i'll sit whererever. But having an exhaust fan and a broom to hang over the door may be a good idea!

:p :rockin:

The exhaust fan is for when you drink too much Apfelwein and get the rhino farts. :D

I think you're almost going to have to brew in the top section. The corner above the cold room should house the cooler for your conical just fine, and you could probably get a sink next to it in the top left corner.

It seems that only leaves the area across from the cold room for grain storage. How high is the ceiling?

The best advice I would give is to make a scale drawing as large as you can and then make cut-outs of all your "stuff" and start placing them to see how it ifts together, or doesn't. Remember items like storage for whatever, outlet palcement, windows (to not block), gas and water, how you move through the area when you're brewing, access to your cold room. The cut-outs can easily be moved or taped down and will give you real life footprints without too much time invested.

I would lay it out like this:

Ed.bmp

I don't know if you added drain in the floor, but it would still be easy to do and would make for easy cleanup (water and squeegee).

EDIT: Sigmund's advice is very good. You should model it in Sketchup, then you will be able to better see the work flow.

You could also just take measurements and transfer them onto the floor with duct tape. Thats what I've used in the past to lay out my apartments...

How about a spot for a small laptop desk? Something that you could hook up when needed, or disconnect when you were done. Maybe something that would flip up and out of the way when not in use.

I would lay it out like this:

Ed.bmp

I don't know if you added drain in the floor, but it would still be easy to do and would make for easy cleanup (water and squeegee).

EDIT: Sigmund's advice is very good. You should model it in Sketchup, then you will be able to better see the work flow.

Thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to put in some kind of counter with some storage underneath. Just where is the question.

What is Sketchup?

Thanks again.

This is SketchUp:

Google SketchUp

It is a free modeling software that is very easy to use. I have used it to design a bunch of stuff... for example:

Brouwerij_der_Boerderij_Kabouter_1.png

I personalized my person image so he has my dimensions. That way I can see the relative scale of things when drawing them.

Ed,
Where is the existing plumbing? Can you take some pictures of the space? Are the existing coldroom's wall already up?

OK, I am in the middle of doing all this , ask away , here is brewery floor plan albeit different, my shed is 22" x 12' , one third dedicated to brewing , and two thirds to tap room and darts .

CreekRoadLayout-1-1.jpg

S5001216.jpg

S5001211.jpg

S5001214.jpg

OK, I am in the middle of doing all this , ask away , here is brewery floor plan albeit different, my shed is 22" x 12' , one third dedicated to brewing , and two thirds to tap room and darts .

S5001216.jpg

Nice job! What are you using for the wall in the brewing section? Are you building a hood as well?

I still want room for a plastic laundry sink (or deep stainless if I can find one), counter space and storage space for grain & supplies.
Ed,
You should consider a pet washing sink. Ever since I first saw one, I thought it would be perfect for cleaning giant brewing pots and what not. Something like this:

Stainless Steel Dog Bathtub - Utility Sink - eBay (item 320323334656 end time Dec-13-08 12:28:58 PST)

or this:

http://www.petfriendlyseattlecondo.com/sink.jpg

BTW, both of your brewery setups are amazing...

Didn't see it on the schematic anywhere... but if you can do it...

BATHROOM. I wasn't going to put one in my bar since there was "one just upstairs". Trust me... BATHROOM if you can do it.

Nice job! What are you using for the wall in the brewing section? Are you building a hood as well?

The walls are a paneling of sorts, I will need to go easy on the hosing down part, but a quick light coat of car wax keeps things dry, yes, building a range hood right now, I have sent off the plans to a sheetmetal guy who will have it done by Xmas.

Thanks for the compliments !

The walls are a paneling of sorts, I will need to go easy on the hosing down part, but a quick light coat of car wax keeps things dry, yes, building a range hood right now, I have sent off the plans to a sheetmetal guy who will have it done by Xmas.

Thanks for the compliments !

Nice. I'm going with beadboard in front for the walls, white pegboard in the back and some kind of wipeable paneling around the brew rig.

Care to share your plans on the range hood. I have a neighbor who has son that does sheetmetal work.

I tried to open up the floor plan, give you a bathroom, and keep all the plumbing on a common wall.

EDWORTS-Model.jpg

I had to sacrifice room to walk behind the bar, but i did get two dart boards, for tournament play. If you want to stay with the floor drain idea, you could put a curb around the brewing area.

let me know what you think

I tried to open up the floor plan, give you a bathroom, and keep all the plumbing on a common wall.

I had to sacrifice room to walk behind the bar, but i did get two dart boards, for tournament play. If you want to stay with the floor drain idea, you could put a curb around the brewing area.

let me know what you think

It looks great, thanks! I'm stuck with where the cold room is now. The BrewHaus is really a big shed. No plumbing to speak of, but I will be digging a french drain for the sink. It is built on a DekBloks, so it is a pier & beam construction. No floor drain.

I'm starting to think all the plumbing will be on the back wall. Thanks for your help!

Back