LHBS offered me a job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have developed a good relationship with my LHBS and today they offered me a part time job for a modest hourly wage with a store discount. I already have a day job so I'll be able to do something here I love to do!

I'm proud of myself! :ban:

There is somebody different working in my local shop every time I go in. I half wonder if they are taking volunteers from their local brew club.

But I think it would be cool to work in a good home brew store. Talking to different brewers, helping new brewers and store discounts would be cool. But I'd imagine that all these people wanting to talk about their recipes would get old fast. It seems half of the "My lhbs sucks" posts stem from someone getting butt hurt that the guy at the store didn't want to talk about their recipe.

I ask every time I am in there if there is a job opening. I would take one 4 hour shift a week if that is what they had. You are a lucky one.

Nice! so can you hook it up for the entire HBT community or is that asking too much :D?

LOL - I should probably work a shift first before I answer that :)

I ask every time I am in there if there is a job opening. I would take one 4 hour shift a week if that is what they had. You are a lucky one.

Thank You! I am looking forward to the opportunity.

Just remember while many people may ask your opinion, it is their beer they are making, so don't push too much. We all learn from mistakes and remember what we were told especially when we were not satisfied with out own results.

I appreciate the advice. I won't pretend to be an expert. I have been brewing for 18 months and all grain for year. I will offer my experiences and am not afraid to say "I don't know."

BUT that said, when I get hooked on a experience like I have with brewing, I inhale all the knowledge from all the sources I can. I hope to be able to offer a helping hand.

I appreciate the advice. I won't pretend to be an expert. I have been brewing for 18 months and all grain for year. I will offer my experiences and am not afraid to say "I don't know."

BUT that said, when I get hooked on a experience like I have with brewing, I inhale all the knowledge from all the sources I can. I hope to be able to offer a helping hand.

Sounds exactly like me. Been working at the LHBS for about 3 or 4 months now one weekend day and been brewing for a shorter time than you. I say "I don't know" all the time and offer to look it up for them. I love working there thought it was scary at first. Only one person works at a time.

Enjoy.

I had a similar thing happen. A friend I worked that was "laid off" had a gig teaching brewing classes at a culinary school. He found another job out of town and had to give up the class. He only taught one class when he got the new job so he did all the hard work and put togther a cirriculum for the school. He contacted me and asked if I were interested. I said interested in teaching a class on brewing, get to drink free commercial expamples, eat food from the culinary school, and get paid. hmm... I don't know...

So I was nervous the first class, but it was one of the easiest things I've ever done. Once you get rolling its quite easy and really the class runs itself. I had a guy who had brewed for 30 years in the class who shook my had at the end of the session and told me he didn't expect much from the class, but he was happy he came as he did learn some new things he would try. He brought in an amber ale the last class that was one of the better homebrews I've had. So I guess we know more than we give ourselves credit for. I suppose it better than the other way though.

three times I took something I loved to do and made a business out of it.

Every time the obligations, schedules, demands, and other crap took all the joy out of.

three times I took something I loved to do and made a business out of it.

Every time the obligations, schedules, demands, and other crap took all the joy out of.

Sorry to hear that. I also bowl and spent some time working part time in a pro shop. That went well and I am hopeful I will have the same experience this time around. I'm not going to make this a business, just playing a bit part.

No heavy obligations of business ownership with the classes I'm teaching. 3 times a year. There are 2 weeks between each class and its only 3 classes long. 3 hours a night. I loved the first session. I enjoy teaching and I suppose I like to talk also.

The nice thing about the OP job. Its not his business and if it gets old oh well its not your bread and butter.

Back