Cider help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shack232

Reaction score
Hi all! I was looking to do a simple hard cider and I was looking for anyone who has a good recipe to share. I had a few questions...
1) I would like it to be a little sweet and still have a little apple flavor. I dont mind the high alcohol content, but I dont want it so dry that I cant tell its apple cider.

2) I was also wondering if its possible to do in something like a gallon milk jug? I have a 5 gal carboy but until I find the recipe I like, I dont want to waste 5gallons of cider.

3) I was thinking I would store it in the basement while it ferments. The basement has consistently been 55 degrees for the last 2 weeks. Would this need a lager yeast?

Thanks

JS

I just completed my first cider

1 Gallon (Store Bought) juice
4.4 oz dextrose
1/3 package of champagne yeast (Red Star)
OG-1055
FG-1008
Used a 1 Gallon Glass Jug
Stored it at 68-70 degrees

Has a little dry taste but we sweeten it with 1/2 package of splenda per pint

Not to bad for such a fast brew! We only let it sit for 7 days and then we bottled it and chilled it! Good experience for a first time cider.

Hi,Yeh I done sumting similar for my first brew 1 gal store bought Apple juice and 1kg sugar and pinch of yeast left for 6 weeks very sweet cider but very very very strong could only drink 1pint at a time but I was happy.

Back