Opinions on water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I've yet to read up on water chemistry enough to really understand it. I'm hoping for a jump start from the forum with your opinions on how this looks. Thanks everyone.

West Brazos-20120209-00105.jpg

That water has the appearance of being run through an ion-exchange water softening process. The sodium is pretty high and the bicarbonate is also high. The other ions of interest in brewing are nice and low.

Given that the sodium isn't crazy high, I'd say that you could brew with this water. Calcium will be needed and the alkalinity will have to be moderated. Learn to use acid for the alkalinity control.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I sent a sample from my kitchen sink which goes through an undersink carbon filter since that's the water I brew with. I live in a small town of about 2000 people. I'm don't know how the city treats our water supply but they did just come on line with a new water tower and well. I guess it's possible they soften it.

Oh and I downloaded Brunwater the other day. Haven't had a chance to mess with it though.

I would kill for that report. Not that it is good but mine is so much worse.

Ellis. I'm in a town of 5000 and I have sodium 106ppm. We can't get any water that is NOT treated.

I've been playing with Brunwater for a good chunk of the day. Looks like to get optimal numbers I'll have to dilute with 50-75% RO water. Mostly to get the sodium and bicarbonate down and still be able to add Ca and Mg. There's more to this water chemistry thing than I anticipated.:confused:

There's more to this water chemistry thing than I anticipated.:confused:

The Primer is written for people who feel that way. Use it to get going. It will work for you. Use the spreadsheet to understand why it is working and what the next step(s) should be.

Note: The Primer is also going to recommend a heavy dilution (5:1 or more) with RO for this water.

Back