Keezer Build (Broken Hinge)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerJohn

Reaction score
I picked up an 8.9 cf Whirlpool chest freezer on craigslist for $40. I cleaned it up some and noticed that one of the hinges did not have a spring and the lid was not closing right. It closes all the way with no leaks but just has a small "hitch" and a pop when closing.

I looked around online and found a hinge but they wanted $78 and it is not in stock. I found one in stock at Sears Direct and they want $138 for a single hinge :eek:.

I did a search on the board and did not find too much information.

I'm thinking that I can possibly use a gate hinge or something similar but it would not hold up the lid like a spring loaded hinge would. Another possibility is to take the busted hinge and see if I can find a spring and rebuild the hinge.

Any opinions and/or experience with an issue like this would be greatly appreciated.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I'll just do a little adjustment when I reinstall the hinges to the lid and the collar.

Yes, I did notice that. When I picked up the freezer the hinge was making a popping sound and I messed around with it and got it to stop. I figured that when I add the collar and the faucets that I would have to increase the tension in the spring to handle the added weight.

Back