Durian Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyP

Reaction score
So I was curious if anyone have ever brewed with Durian fruit? I'm not sure if it's a really good idea....but I've been floating the idea of a recipe. I know there's a dish called 'Tempoyak' that's made from a fermenting Durian, but it looks more like a weird paste. So I know anything I make I would make would have to counter balance the Durian, and I would probably have to put the Durian into the secondary. I'm also aware that I won't be able to brew this in the house since SWMBO will not allow me to ferment stink fruit. Maybe I'll rent a temp control storage unit. Any ideas, suggestions.....:confused:;):drunk:

Oh and now at the bottom I can find some info. I think the search engine is broken....

Have you ever tried a durian? I have... And won't ever again. But I guess if you like the taste of rotten onion and feet, combined with the texture of thick pudding encased in a thin membrane, then go for it.

Well I do like Onions and Cheese (even smelly cheese). Maybe I could come up with something.

my boss came back from vietnam with a bunch of hard candy. Most of it was good. then I had a durian candy (thought it was jackfruit by the picture). Couldn't get the rot taste out of my mouth for 2 days...

As KingBrian1 said, "Have you ever tried Durian??"

Well, there are 2 kinds of people in this world: Those who think Durian is tasty, and those who think it smells/tastes like dirty gym socks. I am of the latter. There does not seem to be many in the middle on this one. :)

One of my Vietnamese brother-in-laws has no problem with it. The rest of the family does not find this fruit edible or enjoyable.

So, if you really like it ... guess you can experiment away. I couldn't even begin to make any suggestions, as this seems like a bad idea to me. :)
--LexusChris

p.s. I'll eat most anything... tripe, sheep's eye, balut, etc. but durian ... yeewhh...

rotten onion and feet, combined with the texture of thick pudding encased in a thin membrane

That is pretty similar to my description when people ask. Onion and sweaty gym sock flavored stringy vanilla pudding.

I ate it once to try it. NEVER AGAIN.

Given the potency and strong flavor of Durian I'd be worried about it overpowering the beer. Seriously, the stuff will stink up an entire house for hours. I am definitely of the group that thinks it smells like my outdoor trashcan on a hot summer day, so I can't even imagine what kind of malts you would use for it and man talk about having off flavors. I think the sign, commonly seen on doors throughout Malaysia and Singapore pretty much sums it up.

1147097069047360488S200x200Q85.jpg

Can you even get it in the states now????? Are they importing it now, or growing it domestically?

I know airlines ban the bringing of it into the country.

Check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey now, some of those signs are just to tell people they don;t have durian in stock. the Malays are crazy for that stuff.

And Revvy, Yes, It is still imported to the US. Not sure if it's done legally but, that crap is all over our Asian market. To be honest, I think they use it to keep away the flies. Even they know better.

Our Asian grocery store in Milwaukee sells it frozen. My famly likes to get it for special occasions. I cringe just thinking about it.

Yep. Asian grocery has a big bin of it in the front of the store. You can smell it as soon as the door opens.

my boss came back from vietnam with a bunch of hard candy. Most of it was good. then I had a durian candy (thought it was jackfruit by the picture). Couldn't get the rot taste out of my mouth for 2 days...

When you eat the real thing you'll be burping that nasty flavor the rest of the day.:mad:

Given the potency and strong flavor of Durian I'd be worried about it overpowering the beer. Seriously, the stuff will stink up an entire house for hours. I am definitely of the group that thinks it smells like my outdoor trashcan on a hot summer day, so I can't even imagine what kind of malts you would use for it and man talk about having off flavors. I think the sign, commonly seen on doors throughout Malaysia and Singapore pretty much sums it up.

1147097069047360488S200x200Q85.jpg

There was a sign like that at a hotel we stayed at last year in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I was lucky enough to not encounter it. That Jackfruit was tasty as hell though!

Yeah the Hong Kong market near my house sell it. I think June is the peak time of the year. As far as smelling it before you get into the store.....what Asian store doesn't stink before you get into it???

Yeah the Hong Kong market near my house sell it. I think June is the peak time of the year. As far as smelling it before you get into the store.....what Asian store doesn't stink before you get into it???

Ahhhh. The pungent smell of Chinese Incense, Durian, and 3 week old fish. Brings a tear to my eye everytime. Literally.

So what have you decided? you gonna do it?;)

Whoa, I was googling to see if anyone DID actually ever make one, and evidently there is some "urban legend" (I assume it's not true) that beer and Durian can kill you?

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/1821981789

THere's a bunch of threads about that on the webs. :confused:

How about Fugu (pufferfish) and Durian Beer? :D

So what have you decided? you gonna do it?;)

Whoa, I was googling to see if anyone DID actually ever make one, and evidently there is some "urban legend" (I assume it's not true) that beer and Durian can kill you?

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/1821981789

THere's a bunch of threads about that on the webs. :confused:

How about Fugu (pufferfish) and Durian Beer? :D

I agree with the blog replies. If it were true then Malaysia would be (mostly) extinct. Who then would build JVC?

It's the durian that knocks out the Fugu.

I'm still debating. I've made an Onion cooking wine by running about 30 onions through my juicer. It turned out good, but yet again I do eat whole onions like apples sometimes. My wife always stares at me when I do it. If I did do the Durian fruit I think I would use a climate controlled storage facility. Not sure if SWMBO would like the pungent smell.

I'm still debating. I've made an Onion cooking wine by running about 30 onions through my juicer. It turned out good, but yet again I do eat whole onions like apples sometimes. My wife always stares at me when I do it. If I did do the Durian fruit I think I would use a climate controlled storage facility. Not sure if SWMBO would like the pungent smell.
That maybe the understatement of the year..

When I was in Vietnam last year couldn't get past the smell to even try Durian. I did try the snake wine though... once.

Yeah, I betcha fermenting durian beer makes apfelwien rhino farts smell like roses. ;)

Hey maybe not a beer, but what about a durian cider??? Durienfelwein?

Hmmm I like the Cider idea. I guess I could hang a bunch of those pine trees around the neck of my carboy when it's fermenting.

Dude if SWMBO is cool with having Durian in the house you can pretty much figure you can get away with brewing anything. I'd say do all the brewing outside but your neighbors will probaly call the health department.

So now the question is what kind of base will this Durian brew use? Malaysia seems to drink Carlsberg and Tiger exclusively.

Dude if SWMBO is cool with having Durian in the house you can pretty much figure you can get away with brewing anything. I'd say do all the brewing outside but your neighbors will probaly call the health department.

So now the question is what kind of base will this Durian brew use? Malaysia seems to drink Carlsberg and Tiger exclusively.

Not exclusively but, those are the more popular brands. They also have Guiness berweries there too and produce FES. Not a lot of variety available but even in a small town like Melacca there are at least 15 beers to choose from ranging from Stout to Nitro Pale Ale to Rice lager.

Just depends on how thickly Muslim the community is.

My only experience with durian is eating some of the candies. I enjoyed it but wouldn't seek it out. I did onion research for 6 years and really enjoy jak fruit so that might explain something.

I made a bunch of trial beers with different fruit purees from a friend's import/export business. The jak fruit beer turned out well enough, if you liked it to begin with, at 1 lbs puree in gallon of 1.050 base beer. The flavor was delicate but right on.

If you enjoy the durian, I would go for it. The stinky sulfur compounds might actually be tasty diluted out into beer, much like certain hops being tasty at low levels but trending to oniony at higher levels.

Not exclusively but, those are the more popular brands. They also have Guiness berweries there too and produce FES. Not a lot of variety available but even in a small town like Melacca there are at least 15 beers to choose from ranging from Stout to Nitro Pale Ale to Rice lager.

Just depends on how thickly Muslim the community is.

Oh yeah I forgot about Guinness, it's been a few years since I was there. What's your tie to Melacca? My dad is from Malaysia and I have relatives who live in Melacca, been there several times. The rest of them are in KL.

Oh yeah I forgot about Guinness, it's been a few years since I was there. What's your tie to Melacca? My dad is from Malaysia and I have relatives who live in Melacca, been there several times. The rest of them are in KL.

Tanjung Kling.

Have family in Melaka, Kuala Lumpur, Johor Baru, and Petaling Jaya.

Ramai orang dalam keluarga. 12 years of marriage and my melayu sucks.

And friends in many of the godforsaken areas all over. we spend more time jalan, jalan to jumpa orang than we do jumpa'ing. :D

Tanjung Kling.

Have family in Melaka, Kuala Lumpur, Johor Baru, and Petaling Jaya.

Ramai orang dalam keluarga. 12 years of marriage and my melayu sucks.

And friends in many of the godforsaken areas all over. we spend more time jalan, jalan to jumpa orang than we do jumpa'ing. :D

Very cool, sadly the language references are lost on me. I only know English and my family is Chinese so I still wouldn't know Malay.

I have always wondered who the first person to try something like Durian fruit could be?

I liken it to the little "landmines" my dog leaves in the backyard, I have never eaten them but I will be fine in assuming they DO actually taste like they smell!!

My hat goes off to those brave souls who eat or brew Durian. Happy brewing!

Back