SMaSHing tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishkid

Reaction score
Well I'm going to give a SMaSH recipe a try tomorrow, so the strike water should be heating up shortly after sunrise, approx 7:30am.

My ingredients:
11lbs Maris Otter
3oz Chinook

Anyone else brewing tomorrow?

Discuss.

Curt

Well I'm going to give a SMaSH recipe a try tomorrow, so the strike water should be heating up shortly after sunrise, approx 7:30am.

My ingredients:
11lbs Maris Otter
3oz Chinook

Anyone else brewing tomorrow?

Discuss.

Curt

Wow, interesting recipe. Please chime back in and let us know how it turns out. I've done two SMaSHes so far. First one was one of the best beers I've made, the second one is still in primary.

Not brewing tomorrow (should've today), but at least I'm working at the LHBS.

What's your hop sched.? 1oz @ 60, 1 oz @ 15 and 1 oz at flameout? Sounds like a winner. I need to do a SMaSH.

BTW, what BJCP style does a SMaSH fall under?

I'm not a chinook fan.

I made an unexciting SMaSH recently of my Rahr 2-row. Just wanted to taste it "naked". Not bad, but not something to write home about. Twas a bit of a Warsteiner, to put a face to it.

I should mention that the other half of the SMaSH was Willamette.

I'm about to start my first smash, exactly one week from today, pils and sorachi ace... can't wait. that combo sounds tasty, i love chinook and maris otter.

Alrighty, I'm 14 minutes into the mash as I type this. In an effort to try to nail all of my temperatures, I re-calibrated my dial thermometers last night. I try to shoot for ~2 degrees over my desired mash water temp so I can pre-heat the tun for a few minutes but I think I might have missed my mash temp by about 4 degrees too low...Ah well.

Anyways, I'm jumping on the Gordie bandwagon and going to tweet my brewdays. If anyone is interested you can follow my day at www.twitter.com/iamahomebrewer

Curt

Back