Secondary in a corny keg question (after the fact) need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Nov 1 I did my first ever 'clone' of 2 Hearted Ale. The past 2 batches i did (wheat beer, and the a high gravity BYO magazine anniversary ale) came out great following this method.

Basically, 2 or so weeks in the primary carboy, secondary in the keg for 2 or so weeks carbonate, perfect.

I did the same thing with this 2 Heart Clone, my first time dry hopping, and tonight i had my first pour (exactly 2 weeks in primary, another 2 weeks in secondary/corney keg, added CO2 tank a week ago) and it's cloudy with sediment in the beer, plus some green hop flakes on top (LESSON LEARNED, what's done is done, and i didn't use a hop bag, jusy pellets in the the keg.)

Of course I do 10 gallon batches (2 kegs).

Should I:

a) leave it as is (the taste is good, more a cosmestic thing at this point)

b) transfer into a carboy, clean keg, and and transfer back and recarbonate it?

c) open to suggestions.

As always, thanks in advance!

DB

PS: I'm making my second clone ever of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, will definitely add to carboy as my secondary before kegging...)

Did you prime with sugar? Then put it on Co2?

Priming with sugar takes longer than 2 weeks.

This is what I do.

1 month in primary

Put in keg put on the gas in a fridge. After at least two weeks (3 or 4 is better).

Pour off the 1st pint or so of sludgy beer (I bend my dip tubes though so I don't get this) and enjoy or if you want really clear beer or if you are going to move the kegs jump the beer to a clean keg.

If you want super clear beer use gelatin or some such clearing agent (look it up)

Crazy clear beer? Filter system (do a search)

For me after 2 weeks or more of cold crashing in the fridge and jumping to a clean keg beer is as clear as I am capable of caring about ;)

Hi there, no, didnt prime with sugar.

Like all my brews, I'm probably being impatient. :)

My question above came after the very first pour from the keg, I noticed the second pour wasn't as cloudy, but still had some sediment.

I did cut the button inch off of my pour tub prior to kegging other beer a few months ago, i think this is what you mean by bending the tube? (I'm asking because I'm not certain.)

I think I'm going to leave as is, chalk it up to a lesson learned. I think it also needed another week in the secondary (regardless of where it was, carboy or corny keg)

Plus I'm sure in another week and beyond it will improve.

Thanks for your reply!

Did you prime with sugar? Then put it on Co2?

Priming with sugar takes longer than 2 weeks.

This is what I do.

1 month in primary

Put in keg put on the gas in a fridge. After at least two weeks (3 or 4 is better).

Pour off the 1st pint or so of sludgy beer (I bend my dip tubes though so I don't get this) and enjoy or if you want really clear beer or if you are going to move the kegs jump the beer to a clean keg.

If you want super clear beer use gelatin or some such clearing agent (look it up)

Crazy clear beer? Filter system (do a search)

For me after 2 weeks or more of cold crashing in the fridge and jumping to a clean keg beer is as clear as I am capable of caring about ;)

Back