Making half batch help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey11bball

Reaction score
Hello. Im a relatively new homebrewer and for my next batch I want to try to make a barleywine. I heard that barleywines need to condition for a long time so Im planning on trying to make a half batch. The recipe I wanted to try called for 2 packets of champagne yeast for a 5 gallon batch. If I am making a 2.5 gallon batch would I just use one packet of champagne yeast? Also I am going to buy a 3 gallon carboy for secondary fermentation. Could I use a 5 gallon bucket for the primary fermentation? Thanks

I think generally the champagne yeast is added after main fermentation to fully attenuate. I'm not sure I'd use only champagne yeast.

I think generally the champagne yeast is added after main fermentation to fully attenuate. I'm not sure I'd use only champagne yeast.

I agree with the above. If you use champagne yeast for primary ferm, you're going to get those flavor profiles in your ale (maybe that's what you are going for). If not, use an ale yeast for the bulk of the ferm and then add champagne to dry things up at the end if you need it.

If you're going to use the champagne yeast, I would say one packet would be more than enough.

As far as the 5-gallon bucket - I think it would actually be better for the yeast (at least a top-cropping ale yeast strain) - more surface area means more breeding/breathing room for the yeasts. Probably true for the champagne yeasts also, but i have no experience.

thanks guys
So would I even need to buy a 3 gallon carboy or could i use my 5 gallon carboy for secondary? I thought i would need a 3 gallon because of an oxidation problem with all that space in the 5 gallon.

I would also underpitch the yeast. Some might disagree, but for something that will be aging for that long, I've had luck with underpitching to rid some of the yeasty-ness. It'll allow the fermentation longer time, as well.

thanks guys
So would I even need to buy a 3 gallon carboy or could i use my 5 gallon carboy for secondary? I thought i would need a 3 gallon because of an oxidation problem with all that space in the 5 gallon.

Well, the CO2 from the primary ferm is going to blanket and protect the wort/beer in the primary, but you are going to lose that blanket when you transfer to a secondary. My advice would be to use a smaller vessel for the secondary as it will limit the surface area potentially exposed to oxygen.

If you are concerned still about oxidation (which prolonged aging could increase chances of without any additional steps), I would either purge the secondary with 2-3 secs of CO2 or... transfer to the secondary when you are about 90% through with primary fermentation (have reached ~90% of your chosen yeast strain's typical attenuation rate). Either method will provide a small blanket of CO2 in the secondary and help prevent early oxidation.

Back