Potassium Metabisulphite Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
I am going to be stabilizing using potassium Metabisulphite and potassium sorbate. My question is about the Metabisulphite. The instructions on the package say to dose at a rate of 1/2tsp per 23 liters which is equal to 50 parts per million or 10 campden tablets. Is this correct. I have always seen 5 tablets per 23 liters. When I did my first racking I dosed at a quarter tsp per 23 liters. Should I follow this instructions or do as I have read at 5 tablets. It's in powder form. Also the potassium sorbate is listed at a dosage rate of 15ml per 23 liters. Does this sound correct?

I am going to be stabilizing using potassium Metabisulphite and potassium sorbate. My question is about the Metabisulphite. The instructions on the package say to dose at a rate of 1/2tsp per 23 liters which is equal to 50 parts per million or 10 campden tablets. Is this correct. I have always seen 5 tablets per 23 liters. When I did my first racking I dosed at a quarter tsp per 23 liters. Should I follow this instructions or do as I have read at 5 tablets. It's in powder form. Also the potassium sorbate is listed at a dosage rate of 15ml per 23 liters. Does this sound correct?

No, on every package I've ever seen it's 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons. It seems that 1/2 teaspoon per 23L is about double what I've used normally.

For sorbate, I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Now this leads to my next question. 6 gallons = 23litres or 5 gallons = 23 liters. I'm assuming we are talking 6 gallons = 23 liters.

Now this leads to my next question. 6 gallons = 23litres or 5 gallons = 23 liters. I'm assuming we are talking 6 gallons = 23 liters.

Yes, that's what I assume- not imperial gallons.

5 US gallons = 19L
6 US gallons = 23L (well, technically a bit less than 23 liters, like 22.75, but I'm weirdly anal and most people would not even bring that up.)

I've a question that relates. Which is better, potassium sulfate or Camden tablets? I've been using Camden to clear batches with no trouble and never gave it a second thought. I also use potassium sorbate to stop the yeast from activating after it's supposedly done. Am I using two things that do the same duty?

There the same thing. Ones in a powder form and one is the powder compressed into tablets.

I agree and dissagree with Yoopers on this one.
Yes, all K-meta I have seen has been 1/4 tsp dosage BUT my research has shown that can be different depending on the density of the particular formula.
The brand he is using may have lower density and/or fillers that require a higher amount of material to be dosing with.

There the same thing. Ones in a powder form and one is the powder compressed into tablets.

Campden is not potassium sulfate it is postassium metabisulfite.
Campden helps prevent oxidation, sulfate inhibits yeast reproduction.
From what I know, and I am far from an expert.
^^^ I meant sorbate, Yoopers straightened it up

I've a question that relates. Which is better, potassium sulfate or Camden tablets? I've been using Camden to clear batches with no trouble and never gave it a second thought. I also use potassium sorbate to stop the yeast from activating after it's supposedly done. Am I using two things that do the same duty?

potassium metabisulfite (not sulfate) is the same thing as campden tablets. Sulfites don't clear the batch at all, so I wonder if you're using something else? sulfites are used in wine as an antioxidant, and not a clearing agent.

Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction, so is commonly added to a finished wine before sweetening. Sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites, so they are usually added together.

Thanks for the advice. Both were LD Carlson brand picked up from my home brew store. Instructions on the bottles said different things. Potassium Sorbate- to prevent renewed fermentation when sweetening. Campden tablets, ie Sodium Metabisulphite, is listed as a sterilant and preservative.

Thanks for the advice. Both were LD Carlson brand picked up from my home brew store. Instructions on the bottles said different things. Potassium Sorbate- to prevent renewed fermentation when sweetening. Campden tablets, ie Sodium Metabisulphite, is listed as a sterilant and preservative.

I'd advise against sodium metabisulfite. It's ok, in very smal doses, but potassium metabisulfite is better in that it doesn't add sodium to the wine/mead. Once you add sodium, it doesn't go away. Some Campden tablets are sodium metabisulfite, others are potassium metabisulfite. Pick the potassium one.

Back