chill haze has improved my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axp

Reaction score
Hi all.

I brewed a Hoegaarden clone and all seemed to go well.

I was slightly under on the estimated OG, but I put this down to me not cooking the flaked oats and flaked wheat in the recipe before I placed them in the mash with the pale malt and malted wheat. I mashed at 154F for 90 mins single infusion, no protein rest or mash out.

(I did hear some reports saying that flaked wheat/oats should be cooked before placing in the mash and some saying that they didn't need to be cooked. That is a different topic though)

Anyway, after fermenting in primary for 1 week and then racking to secondary for 3 weeks my beer was bottled and conditioned for a further 4 weeks.

After testing a few I have noticed something strange. When the beer is at room temp it is crystal clear. This is NOT something I want for a witbier. I did not use Irish moss or Whirlfloc in the boil either. When it has been chilled for a few hours it becomes cloudy, and much more to the visible style of a witbier. This is a good thing in my opinion. I have not experienced this with any other beers I have brewed. (Though this is the first time I have included oats or wheat in any recipe.)

I am wondering why my witbier is not cloudy at room temp like it should be. Have others found this? Can I improve my technique somewhere to achieve a better result?

I used WLP400. I believe thats supposed to be Hoegaarden yeast. It is also a low floctuating yeast so I would have expected it to stay in suspension and cloud up the beer

Back