First batch of garbage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I took the AHS recipe for Samual Adams summer to a LHBS. I tried it last night and it tasted like trash.

It was bitter almost sour and had a burnt flavor after taste.

I didn;t burn the bottom of the brew pot everything seemed to be going well. It did stay in the primary for 4 weeks and in a corny for another 2.

Any thoughts? Maybe it will get better with time?:(

Yes, give it time... Ive had AHS kits that spent something along those same lines of time in the primary then keg, which tasted like salty nuts. Try to throw that keg in a corner to let it think about what it did. Forget about it for a month then come back and try it again.

I did that and the salty balls brews ended up being amazing.
-Me

Sure, give it some time. But I don't think "sour" and "burnt" flavors are normal, and you may have an infection going.

I think wheat beers have a sour taste when young- one of the reasons I don't like them. But that should have faded by now.

What was the grain bill, and the techniques you used, including fermentation temperature?

The good thing about it is he has the batch kegged (if it IS) an infection.

Oh yeah, and ferm temps are a biggie... :) Im kinda disappointed that my latest batch fermmed kinda high (cause I was lazy) Good thing its going to be dry hopped to hell!
-Me

Sure, give it some time. But I don't think "sour" and "burnt" flavors are normal, and you may have an infection going.

I think wheat beers have a sour taste when young- one of the reasons I don't like them. But that should have faded by now.

What was the grain bill, and the techniques you used, including fermentation temperature?

I don't have a list with me here at work. And not sure what you mean the cost or what type and amounts. I took the AHS recipe to a local home brew store and the guy milled everything in front of me.

Fermentation temp was higher then normal. It got into the low 80's in the room a few days.

I have/had a heffen wisen going at the same time and was under the impression that higher temps meant more banana and less clove.

the recipe called for lemon zest so maybe because it sat on the trub for longer then expected is messed everything up?

Yes, give it time... Ive had AHS kits that spent something along those same lines of time in the primary then keg, which tasted like salty nuts. Try to throw that keg in a corner to let it think about what it did. Forget about it for a month then come back and try it again.

I did that and the salty balls brews ended up being amazing.
-Me

The funny thing is it wasn't a kit it was the LBHS filling my order, I thought that maybe getting things quicker/ more fresh would make the beer better. The sad fact is it cost more then AHS.

I have to say morebeer and AHS are money they have yet to disappoint.

If you are letting your beer ferment that warm, it doesn't matter who filled your order.

If you are letting your beer ferment that warm, it doesn't matter who filled your order.

Yeah, I think the problem is the fermentation temperature. If you used a yeast that is best in the 65-72 degree range (beer temperature, not the room temperature!), and it was quite a bit higher than that, you'll get some off-flavors from it.

Since the beer temperature can be up to 10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature during peak fermentation periods, you might have been as much as 15 degrees too high, for example.

What yeast did you use, and how big of a starter did you make?

Did you get any lemon pith into your beer? It is very important not to get pith when you are zesting lemons. Pith leads to tons of bad tastes.

Yeah, I think the problem is the fermentation temperature. If you used a yeast that is best in the 65-72 degree range (beer temperature, not the room temperature!), and it was quite a bit higher than that, you'll get some off-flavors from it.

Since the beer temperature can be up to 10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature during peak fermentation periods, you might have been as much as 15 degrees too high, for example.

What yeast did you use, and how big of a starter did you make?

No starter.. Danstar Nottingham Dry. I have yet to make a starter or use yeast fuel when making beer.

The temp was the problem then I see now that 70 is the high range so I'm screwed...

No starter.. Danstar Nottingham Dry. I have yet to make a starter or use yeast fuel when making beer.

The temp was the problem then I see now that 70 is the high range so I'm screwed...

Yeah, over about 72 (fermentation temperature, again, not room temperature!), Nottingham tastes really foul. It's great in the low-mid 60s, but is really a bad choice for higher temperature ferments.

Yeah, over about 72 (fermentation temperature, again, not room temperature!), Nottingham tastes really foul. It's great in the low-mid 60s, but is really a bad choice for higher temperature ferments.

So much for keeping the AC off during the day when fermenting. The ambient temp never dropped lower then 72 the entire time.

So much for keeping the AC off during the day when fermenting. The ambient temp never dropped lower then 72 the entire time.

And if the ambient was 72 or higher, the beer temperature was over 80 degrees inside, probably, during active fermentation.

I have a cooler that I use. I put the fermenter in the cooler, and put water around the fermenter in the cooler, and then add a frozen water bottle every day or so when the weather is warm. I have a floating thermometer, to check the temperature. When the water gets up to 70, I toss in a new frozen water bottle. It's ghetto, but works great.

I think controlling fermentation temperature was the single best thing I ever did to make better beer.

so now the Hefeweizen and american wheat are bad now also? All femented in the same room.

White labs Cal ale yeast and white labs Hefeweizen...

And if the ambient was 72 or higher, the beer temperature was over 80 degrees inside, probably, during active fermentation.

I have a cooler that I use. I put the fermenter in the cooler, and put water around the fermenter in the cooler, and then add a frozen water bottle every day or so when the weather is warm. I have a floating thermometer, to check the temperature. When the water gets up to 70, I toss in a new frozen water bottle. It's ghetto, but works great.

I think controlling fermentation temperature was the single best thing I ever did to make better beer.

I swear yooper no one has helped me more with this hobbie then you even my LHBS guy must kneel to your greatness. Next year I'll have to try that it looks like summer has broke here. I woke up today and is was under 60 outside.

Thanks again

I swear yooper no one has helped me more with this hobbie then you even my LHBS guy must kneel to your greatness. Next year I'll have to try that it looks like summer has broke here. I woke up today and is was under 60 outside.

Thanks again

After a year and a half of brewing I can say that temperature control has been the biggest improvement to my beers. I heard it here first. I too use a pretty simple means of controlling temps. with a storage tote, water, and some frozen coke bottles filled with water.

Don't think it'd work in Phoenix but up here I can brew a 64 degree primaried IPA in July. In another room I can have an 80 degree saison rocking out.

Who says the weather in MI sucks?:rockin:

After a year and a half of brewing I can say that temperature control has been the biggest improvement to my beers. I heard it here first. I too use a pretty simple means of controlling temps. with a storage tote, water, and some frozen coke bottles filled with water.

Don't think it'd work in Phoenix but up here I can brew a 64 degree primaried IPA in July. In another room I can have an 80 degree saison rocking out.

Who says the weather in MI sucks?:rockin:

Yeah "I too use a pretty simple means of controlling temps. with a storage tote, water, and some frozen coke bottles filled with water" a cheap easy solution, doesn;t get better then that. I just hope the other two beers fermenting in the room are undrinkable.

Certain yeasts and styles are more tolerant of high temps. Maybe try making those beers and using those yeasts in the warm months if you can. Then go ahead and make some other ales and even lagers when it cools off.

I add a vote for temp. here... temperature control for the ferment is probably one of say three HUGE variables that will affect your beer quality. Without temp. control, nothing else really matters.

I think Saison, Belgian and Wheat ales are some of the best types for warm temps. Obviously into the 80's is a little high though, but upper 70's is close.

Give it time in a dark corner, and come back to it. If you dont need the keg room, you may be surprised by what happens in a month or two.

Certain yeasts and styles are more tolerant of high temps. Maybe try making those beers and using those yeasts in the warm months if you can. Then go ahead and make some other ales and even lagers when it cools off.

I add a vote for temp. here... temperature control for the ferment is probably one of say three HUGE variables that will affect your beer quality. Without temp. control, nothing else really matters.

I think Saison, Belgian and Wheat ales are some of the best types for warm temps. Obviously into the 80's is a little high though, but upper 70's is close.

Give it time in a dark corner, and come back to it. If you dont need the keg room, you may be surprised by what happens in a month or two.

Even though the keg has been cooled to 40? for 2 weeks

Even though the keg has been cooled to 40? for 2 weeks

2 weeks is nothing.

I had a Red Rye ale that I brewed last fall, oaked it... wow it was really "flavorful".

Given 6 months, the flavors became much more enjoyable.

2 weeks is green beer IMHO, yeah you had it in the primary for 4 weeks... but it has only been off the yeast and chilled for 2 weeks. Given your temps... Id give it at least another month.

Thanks again

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Flattery works for me! :D

As The Pol mentioned, some yeast strains will do better at higher temperatures, although very few will taste great with fermentation over 80 degrees.

The hefeweizen might be fine, but with a big banana bite or a bit of bubblegum taste. That's not out of style for a hefeweizen, though, so it might be quite good.

California ale yeast isn't very good over 73-74 degrees, but you might have it turn out better than the beer using Nottingham yeast.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Flattery works for me! :D

As The Pol mentioned, some yeast strains will do better at higher temperatures, although very few will taste great with fermentation over 80 degrees.

The hefeweizen might be fine, but with a big banana bite or a bit of bubblegum taste. That's not out of style for a hefeweizen, though, so it might be quite good.

California ale yeast isn't very good over 73-74 degrees, but you might have it turn out better than the beer using Nottingham yeast.

Believe it or not I wanted the more Banana bubble gum taste last time the clove was over powering so that should be a interesting contrast. I guess time will tell with the American wheat. I have to get better air flow in that room now outside temps have gone down to 55 but day time is up around 78 the room has been between 70-75, and I have an Octoberfest with WLP010 "european ale yeast" I want to brew ASAP. :mug:

2 weeks is nothing.

I had a Red Rye ale that I brewed last fall, oaked it... wow it was really "flavorful".

Given 6 months, the flavors became much more enjoyable.

2 weeks is green beer IMHO, yeah you had it in the primary for 4 weeks... but it has only been off the yeast and chilled for 2 weeks. Given your temps... Id give it at least another month.

I'll pull the keg tonight and throw the Heff in there then. Give it 4 weeks and see what happens. Although this weekend is laborday...

Back