Splain this please - (hives from bottled beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
Have any of you heard of this?
My mother-in-law gets hives whenever she drinks bottled beer. Not canned beer of the same brand, only bottled. Every bottled beer too, not just some brands. My father-in-law claims to have tested this phenomenon by slipping her some without her knowing (after her hives cleared up she was not very happy). WTF?
I am tempted to see this for my own eyes every time I visit. I just can't figure out how to get away with it.

Sorry if this was not the right place to post this. I couldn't think of anywhere else.

Try a corked bottle. Does she get hives when she drinks wine. She may have a sensitivity to the rubber seal on the bottom of the caps, the only thing I can think of.

Try a corked bottle. Does she get hives when she drinks wine. She may have a sensitivity to the rubber seal on the bottom of the caps, the only thing I can think of.

She does not have problems with wine. That is an interesting idea.

OOOOOOHHHHH, I think you could be onto something there...that would make perfect sense....no one has glass allergies...right?

If she is sensitive to the rubber seal, has she ever sodas from a bottle and had a reaction?? Is that seal similar to beer bottle caps?

This curious.

I don't think it's the glass. Glass is pretty much inert or whatever you call it. Won't react to anything. Must be the caps or seal.

Back