The hardest part of brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup02

Reaction score
I have received all kinds of advice regarding the beer I have been brewing these past few weeks. I just found out the hardest part about home brewing tonight though. I cant wait to try my beer!!! I don't know how everyone waits for weeks after bottling, for me this is the hardest part! It has only been 3 hours since I bottled and I for real am not going to be able to wait 3 weeks to try this stuff! I may just have to start making a new batch in the mean time to take my mind off of it i guess!

Brew more and put the bottles out of sight. I move mine to the back of the closet and move a bunch of stuff in front of them so it won't be easy to get them out.

You found the secret. Brew another batch and keep it going. Once you have a few batches to drink on it's easy to ignore the fermenting one(s).

pipeline...
Thats why I tell SWMBO it is vital that I have at least 2 batches either fermenting or bulk aging at all times ;) So far its worked!

This is why I stepped up to 10G batches. Maybe an extra hour to brew day but twice the reward :) I'll do a 10G batch about every 3rd batch.

This is why I stepped up to 10G batches. Maybe an extra hour to brew day but twice the reward :) I'll do a 10G batch about every 3rd batch.

When I started brewing, this was a problem. Then I learned about having a pipeline, from "Revvy" and others. I brew enough ahead so that waiting for the beer I've just brewed isn't as much of an issue.
I started AG brewing in June, and am just now finishing up all but two of my last extract batches. I've got a lot of a couple of heavy extract brews in the bottles, mainly because they took such a long time to condition. Now I'm just starting to drink a half-dozen batches of AG brews, which gives me plenty of breathing space, so that I don't have to start brewing again until all the holiday brouhaha dies down.

watch

While the advice given about a pipeline is spot on, I think you should feel free to "sample" as the beer ages. Try one at one week. Hell, try one before you cap it. Then try one at two weeks, etc. or whenever you feel like it.
It's your beer and your hobby so you should feel free to enjoy it.

What you'll discover is how aging affects your brew. You also get a rough idea of when your beer is ready to share. Not that you'll actually share it though :D

I agree with above. I try to keep at least two on tap. I currently have three on tap and a fourth ready to be kegged or bottled. I think I am going to bottle it and try and forget about it and let it age. It's a higher gravity winter warmer.

Brewing again this weekend to keep the pipeline building.

Once you taste it at it's prime, you will want to wait until then to drink it. That is, if you have something to keep you busy, like brewing another batch, or making new DIY equipment.

Even if you have tons of Homebrew in the house, you will still be eager to see how that last batch turned out. That is, until you get confident about your brewing. Then it's a bit easier.

Heck, if you think it's hard waiting for beer (and it is, don't get me wrong), then don't ever take up meadmaking.

I'm about to start a batch of mead this weekend, and I am sad that it will be so long before I get to really try it!

Heck, if you think it's hard waiting for beer (and it is, don't get me wrong), then don't ever take up meadmaking.

I really want to make some mead, but that wait seems like a huge barrier to me. Sure it is more of a mental barrier, and I know it would be worth it, but I sure don't like the idea of it. Maybe some day I'll take that jump.

I made a batch and popped the first one 2 weeks after bottling... pretty good. Tried it again after 4 weeks.... EXCELLENT! The problem is by this point it was the last bottle. Idiot.

My first attempt was mr beer. 1 week in the fermenter, 1 week in the bottle. Told my friends I made nasty beer. (mr beer's blonde ale).

I decided that by God, I will drink all of this swill, one liter per night. One the last one I was telling a friend how bad it was and it hit me, it really isn't too bad now.

Time heals all beers.

The first is the worst...after that and you establish a pipeline you will be in heaven. To take it to the next level, build yourself a kegerator and you can have beer in days as opposed to weeks. It will change your life. Congrats on the first batch my friend!

Back